Citizenship - Online Application & Identity Declaration

TakeItOnTheChin

Question

TakeItOnTheChin

Hi All,

Our time has arrived to apply for citizenship - we will be eligible in 3 weeks time to be exact. I have been made aware that we need an identity declaration completed by a qualifying Australian citizen. Can I get this sorted  and prepared beforehand. I am confused whether the document I need to download for this is embedded in the online application form that I cannot yet access (because only eligible in 3 weeks) or is this form 1195 that I can download now, get completed and added to the online application when the time comes. Many thanks for any info on this

Edited by TakeItOnTheChin

4 answers to this question

TakeItOnTheChin
1 hour ago, TeeTMI said:

Form 1195 can be downloaded from the Dept of Home Affairs website.

Many thanks TeeTMI, got this done last night

• Like 1

@TakeItOnTheChin have you applied to keep your South African citizenship? We sent the forms through three months before we applied for Aus citizenship and to this day have not heard anything back. So in total its been about 9 months for SA 'permission'.

TakeItOnTheChin
11 minutes ago, CyberJoe said:

@TakeItOnTheChin have you applied to keep your South African citizenship? We sent the forms through three months before we applied for Aus citizenship and to this day have not heard anything back. So in total its been about 9 months for SA 'permission'.

I sent the application to retain RSA citizenship in February 2021 which will be about 2 months before our imminent Australian Citizenship application. My understanding is that it must be confirmed before taking the pledge in Oz so I assume we will be safe, with the Oz timeline being approx 1 year? Maybe things a bit slooooow back home. I am not worried, the 2 are not co-ordinated between governments. Good luck with your application