Options to bring parents over to Australia permanently

buzz

We have been in Australia for 7 years and have been citizens since 2019. My parents (aged 70 and 72) have been visiting us almost every year and have recently started to say that it would be wonderful if they could afford to also immigrate. I have been doing some research on the different types of visas, but will appreciate any advice. It would seem as if there are extremely long waiting times and I am mindful that whilst we wait for the visa to be granted one of my parents might pass away and the remaining parent's visa application will then also be voided. I am also wondering about the option to sponsor them, but need to know what the costs (and risks) would be. My parents are very proud and their main concern is that they will be a financial burden for us. I have noticed that there are a number of temporary options, but it would break my heart if one of them have to return to South Africa to restart their life in SA on a frail age. Anyone who have been successful or are in the process?

19 hours ago, buzz said:

We have been in Australia for 7 years and have been citizens since 2019. My parents (aged 70 and 72) have been visiting us almost every year and have recently started to say that it would be wonderful if they could afford to also immigrate. I have been doing some research on the different types of visas, but will appreciate any advice. It would seem as if there are extremely long waiting times and I am mindful that whilst we wait for the visa to be granted one of my parents might pass away and the remaining parent's visa application will then also be voided. I am also wondering about the option to sponsor them, but need to know what the costs (and risks) would be. My parents are very proud and their main concern is that they will be a financial burden for us. I have noticed that there are a number of temporary options, but it would break my heart if one of them have to return to South Africa to restart their life in SA on a frail age. Anyone who have been successful or are in the process?

As you have seen there are a range of visas, temporary and permanent that parents might be eligible for. 

In respect of your concern that if one of your parents might pass away during the application - the overall visa application need not necessarily be 'voided' in some cases the other parent can continue... 

Within he parent visas there are 'cheaper' and 'more expensive' parent options and the pros and cons of the different options vary depending upon the circumstances and preferences of the individuals. 
In respect of some of your general questions you might take a look at the Contributory Parent Thread.  If you are looking for professional advice please feel free to contact me at our business address below.

Thank you so much. Good to know where to find help when they are more certain that they would consider this big step.