Questions about partner, skilled, and parent visas

Jtaac15

Question

Hello all

My husband is an Australian citizen and we are starting the process to apply for my partner visa with the hope of moving over in the next two or so years.  I was looking over the website last night and realised that I also have adequate points for a skilled visa which is cheaper and has a shorter processing time than a partner visa.  Does anyone know if there is any advantage (other than the fact that I don't have to wait to be 'invited' and that it's fairly certain that the partner visa will be granted) of applying for a partner visa instead of a skilled visa?

My second question is around bringing my mother over.  I am an only child and my father has passed away so we are pretty keen to get my mom over ASAP once we arrive.  As I have understood it, I would need to have been a permanent resident (the partner visa gives you permanent resident status) for two years and then my mom can come over on a bridging visa while she waits for her visa (whichever one we decide to apply for) to be processed.  It's a bit of a deal breaker for my mom to be able to join us and the reason that I'm asking is that I saw on a different post that people seem to be waiting extraordinarily long periods of time before they can get their parents over - is there a reason for these long waits?  I'm nervous that we move over thinking that we only have to wait two years before she can join us but then it's a different story in reality.  I have also understood it that once she turns 67 she is also able to Australia while she waits for her visa application to be processed.

Thank you so much.  We are right at the very beginning of our process (we properly decided to do it just this week) and my head is swimming with information overload already.

6 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Jtaac15 said:

Hello all

My husband is an Australian citizen and we are starting the process to apply for my partner visa with the hope of moving over in the next two or so years.  I was looking over the website last night and realised that I also have adequate points for a skilled visa which is cheaper and has a shorter processing time than a partner visa.  Does anyone know if there is any advantage (other than the fact that I don't have to wait to be 'invited' and that it's fairly certain that the partner visa will be granted) of applying for a partner visa instead of a skilled visa?

My second question is around bringing my mother over.  I am an only child and my father has passed away so we are pretty keen to get my mom over ASAP once we arrive.  As I have understood it, I would need to have been a permanent resident (the partner visa gives you permanent resident status) for two years and then my mom can come over on a bridging visa while she waits for her visa (whichever one we decide to apply for) to be processed.  It's a bit of a deal breaker for my mom to be able to join us and the reason that I'm asking is that I saw on a different post that people seem to be waiting extraordinarily long periods of time before they can get their parents over - is there a reason for these long waits?  I'm nervous that we move over thinking that we only have to wait two years before she can join us but then it's a different story in reality.  I have also understood it that once she turns 67 she is also able to Australia while she waits for her visa application to be processed.

Thank you so much.  We are right at the very beginning of our process (we properly decided to do it just this week) and my head is swimming with information overload already.

Welcome to the forum.  First and foremost at the current time you need to be aware that COVID-19 has taken a significant impact on processing times and government policy.

Very generally speaking (and every case may have differing circumstances) pre-covid if a partner was able to obtain a skilled visa as you have pointed out then this often may have been a sensible option (cost/speed).  This year government policy saw the number of partner visas increase and the number of skilled decrease.  There will be greater competition for skilled visas - so processing times may depend upon e.g. points/occupation (it is not just the processing time but the time until you receive an invitation).  
So currently, in these COVID times I would suggest that purely speed wise it is difficult to predict and it will depend upon your circumstances and future policy.

Re: parent visas the reason that you will have seen extraordinary processing times for some parents is that currently there are two main categories of permanent residence visas for parents.  One is expensive and has a shorter processing time vs. the cheaper option which has considerable processing times.   You might also check out the Contributory parent visa thread in this forum.

Thank you so much TeeTMI - I really appreciate your input and the time taken to respond.  I think that we are leaning towards getting started with the partner visa application despite the cost and length of the application - it seems like a more certain option in these uncertain times.

Please may I clarify one last thing about the situation with parents (and it's more just that I want to make sure that I've understood the information I have correctly): As I have understood it, once we leave, I can start the application for my mom.  After two years of us having lived permanently in Australia she would be able to join us on a bridging visa while we 'wait it out' for either the 'short and pricey' or the 'slow and cheaper' visa to be processed.  In addition to this, once she is 67 she is also allowed to come and 'wait it out' with us in Australia while her visa is being processed.  I know that we have to commit to paying for private health care etc during this time and that there are obviously restrictions because she would be on a bridging visa.  What I am wanting to make certain of is that the 'waiting it out time' while the visa is being processed is definitely able to happen with us in Australia and that within two-ish years give or take she'd be able to join us?  (As I have understood it, she can - but I really don't want to misinterpret the information I currently have and then get a nasty shock once we live halfway across the world from her). She is in her early 60s at present and would be at retirement age roughly when we are hoping to leave.

Thank you again :)

Edited by Jtaac15

17 hours ago, Jtaac15 said:

Please may I clarify one last thing about the situation with parents (and it's more just that I want to make sure that I've understood the information I have correctly): As I have understood it, once we leave, I can start the application for my mom.  After two years of us having lived permanently in Australia she would be able to join us on a bridging visa while we 'wait it out' for either the 'short and pricey' or the 'slow and cheaper' visa to be processed.  In addition to this, once she is 67 she is also allowed to come and 'wait it out' with us in Australia while her visa is being processed.  I know that we have to commit to paying for private health care etc during this time and that there are obviously restrictions because she would be on a bridging visa.  What I am wanting to make certain of is that the 'waiting it out time' while the visa is being processed is definitely able to happen with us in Australia and that within two-ish years give or take she'd be able to join us?  (As I have understood it, she can - but I really don't want to misinterpret the information I currently have and then get a nasty shock once we live halfway across the world from her). She is in her early 60s at present and would be at retirement age roughly when we are hoping to leave.

My reading of your understanding is that it is not complete / correct there are a variety of issues.  I would recommend that you investigate this further or given the importance of this aspect to you that you consider a professional consultation so that you understand the process and pros/cons in advance.   

20 hours ago, Jtaac15 said:

Thank you so much TeeTMI - I really appreciate your input and the time taken to respond.  I think that we are leaning towards getting started with the partner visa application despite the cost and length of the application - it seems like a more certain option in these uncertain times.

Thank you again :)

I would follow @TeeTMI 's advice and enlist the services of a registered agent. We applied for the 189 skilled stream and did the whole process ourselves. It involved a lot of reading and homework. Some visas for parents are very expensive and delays can be much more costly (parents developing health issues etc. and not qualifying) Therefore, I probably wouldn't risk doing it myself, especially if time is a factor and you are weighing up a bunch of options.

In addition, you are asking a bunch of specific questions and no one besides MARA registered agents are legally allowed to answer those. 

Thank you so much @TeeTMI and @Janti.  I really do appreciate the time you took to respond.  We are going to work with an agency so that we can get assistance every step of the way.

We hopefully look forward to joining you 'down under' in the future.

Warm regards

On 1/29/2021 at 8:41 PM, Jtaac15 said:

We are going to work with an agency so that we can get assistance every step of the way.

I'm a MARA Registered Migration Agent you would be welcome to contact me - contact details below.