How many of the original forum members are still around?

Riekie

15 hours ago, Dugong said:

An update on my post further up in this topic regarding our citizenship application - did the interview and test in June - eldest got approved same day for the rest of us 3 weeks later lol

so now we are waiting for a ceremony date which should be within 6 months according to website - so before Christmas hopefully - but Covid isn’t helping !!

can hardly believe we started this journey 13 years ago and for various reasons - life - we are finally at the last hurdle :) amazing how quickly time goes by!

Re Citizenship in COVID days.  If COVID delays things in your local LGA then last year the Dept. of Citizenship may follow last year where they did many Citizenship ceremonies online.  The interview/test was not done online so there were delays on that side - but the online ceremonies were often happening within weeks of the interview/test and the ceremonies were very up to date by the time they switched back to ceremonies at LGAs. 

16 hours ago, Dugong said:

An update on my post further up in this topic regarding our citizenship application - did the interview and test in June - eldest got approved same day for the rest of us 3 weeks later lol

so now we are waiting for a ceremony date which should be within 6 months according to website - so before Christmas hopefully - but Covid isn’t helping !!

can hardly believe we started this journey 13 years ago and for various reasons - life - we are finally at the last hurdle :) amazing how quickly time goes by!

Congrats, we have recently completed our tests too, 25 June and approved same day. We are in the Gold Coast, applied late April and got the test within 2 months which was a surprise. Our approval also mentions ceremonies within 6 months so therefore no idea at this stage. We are definitely looking forward to the ceremony!

Same here, seems like in QLD its around 2 months from application date till interview date.  Our interviews are in August.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, MrsMupersan said:

Hi all!  

I've been around since 2006 and was really active on the forum for years.  I occasionally pop in to check what's up - maybe every few months or so.  It's quite sad that this once thriving community of support has dwindled.  I suppose faceache has had a hand in that.  

Man, we used to have some good laughs - and some 'heated discussions'.  🤣  I'm still friends (in real life, face-to-face contact @MelG @Kerry-Lea 🥰) with people I met on this forum.  And the support in those good old days was just incredible - I don't know how we would've managed to immigrate to Aus without it!  It seemed only natural that we'd pay it forward.  And we did for a time.  But we needed to move forward with our lives and here we sit, 15 years later, in our little slice of paradise with a successful business and I'm now in my second year of my bachelor of nursing degree.  We're converting an old school bus into a motorhome and we'll be travelling around Aus once I'm qualified.

Life is good in Aus! 😎

HI Everyone, how great to see some of the familiar names ~ Riekie, Mara, Tiawanna 

Yup so a 2007 member, and stoked to still have Mrs Mupersan as a neighbour.  We met through this forum and discovered we were neighbours (well living in the same suburb) and we're still neighbours (well living in the same suburb:)   A saffer family ready to go :)) 

I did try and keep up with some stories but life gets busy and you must maar get on with it.  We moved from Kommetjie to Sawtell and we're still here.  Much has happened in the 5 years we've been here - my Dom was living the dream till he got a viral infection while a way on a surf trip, which attacked his heart.  It's been hell on most respects but the community support we have had has been next level amazing, and we sure were grateful to have had access to top medical facilities that we may not have been able to access so easily in SA.   Aus has been good to us also!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, ChrisH said:

Definitely, we're seeing the same thing with the SAAustralia Facebook group.  People would rather ask the same question over and over instead of just reading what others have experienced and posted before them.

The problem with platforms like Facebook is that its almost like its temporary, nobody is going to spend the time to write up their experiences because in a weeks time it would be lost in a history of 1000 people asking about moving companies and how to bring their pets over. 

Indeed. Sad but true.

• 1 month later...

I have been very inactive the last two years. 

I landed in Australia in Melbourne at the end of July 2019 and had barely been here a month before I landed up in an engineering job which has kept me remarkably busy during the pandemic. 

• 6 months later...

Hellooo from me - I was a regular up until not that long after we arrived, in 2011. Used to be on here a lot! Life just basically marched on and dragged me with it. I've been here 11 years now and I certainly couldn't have imagined what was ahead back then. I agree that the forum was a great catalogue of a wealth of info - not like the 100 repeat questions on FB. I went to one of the meetups in CT, boy that was a long time ago. I've logged in to view the members-only threads, hoping for some tips/suggestions but I don't find anything. Should I post on the forum or ask on the FB group?

On 4/17/2022 at 9:50 PM, Kit said:

Hellooo from me - I was a regular up until not that long after we arrived, in 2011. Used to be on here a lot! Life just basically marched on and dragged me with it. I've been here 11 years now and I certainly couldn't have imagined what was ahead back then. I agree that the forum was a great catalogue of a wealth of info - not like the 100 repeat questions on FB. I went to one of the meetups in CT, boy that was a long time ago. I've logged in to view the members-only threads, hoping for some tips/suggestions but I don't find anything. Should I post on the forum or ask on the FB group?

We also arrived here in 2011 (went to a few of the KZN meet-ups).  With the government shutting the borders with COVID-19 that has significantly slowed the interactions on the forum here. 
I personally think the forums provide a much better community feel and the ability to have ongoing information about the various visas/ issues and progress.  Searching for an answer in a FB page can be laborious hence the same questions are asked time and again - the problem then is that you miss some of the useful information from previous posts. The Parent visa thread is still pretty active  and when things start moving again threads following the time lines of the skilled visas can be useful in giving people an idea of processing times etc.
Maybe ask you question in both the forum and on the FB page?

• Like 1