How many of the original forum members are still around?

Riekie

I've been around since 2006 and so have many others in those early days as we flooded the forum with posts and responses, building up a solid reference guide for newbies while at the same time forming many friendships online and offline. 

Along the way, many new members have joined and they became valuable contributors especially with their more recent experiences but I must be honest I do not know most of the newest members or have had much interaction with any of them mostly because I have not been that active on the forum other than in an admin/tech role these last few years, which is actually quite regrettable.  

I find it hard to contribute anything useful these days as it has been so long since we made that journey to Australia and most of what was relevant then, is a completely different experience today.  I was wondering if there were still some of those oldies around and if they are still actively involved or whether they're mostly lurking like me... 😎

This is actually quite a useless post too... 🤪 Just reminiscing a bit... 🙃

ChrisH

Haha, I'm still around.  I find that there are way more fly by night kind of people on here that only come in to ask their question and then move on.  People don't really stick around to contribute anything.

Riekie
11 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

People don't really stick around to contribute anything.

That's sad... 

I remember spending 7+ hours a day on the forum as there were so many questions and so many people needing support and assistance. Then those members in turn became active contributors, paying it forward.  It was also a very social experience and we'd yank each other's chains, share stories and sentiments, laugh about our predicaments...  We were like a community.  It feels very disconnected now.

Glad you're still around 😊

• Haha 1
TeeTMI

I have held this profile as a Registered Migration Agent since 2012.  

However, I had previously held another profile when I was a migrant myself - that was from 2009.  The forum was very active at that time, including arranging meet-ups in South Africa and Australia.  It was really useful to meet others at different stages of the process.  There was a lot of cross-country friendship also and I know quite a few people who through those friendships on here found help setting themselves up on this side when they first arrived.

Within migration people often do not want to tell their friends and families until they know that they have been successful - this can make people feel a bit isolated.  There was a very strong community spirit and it was always useful as we all have ups and downs in the process - government policy changes, COVID happens, you fail your urine test!  there is always some big or small issue and the support was tremendous.  There are some wonderful stories on here.

• Like 2
Riekie
On 1/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, TeeTMI said:

There are some wonderful stories on here.

Definitely!

Jordy

2007 here

• Like 1

2006 - but not really active...just visiting

• Like 1
Mara

I am also visiting, but I must confess, it was great those days, I can remember get togethers where we got up to 300 people!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Im still lurking from time to time, joined in 2012, if does feel really quiet these days