189: Occupational Therapist or University lecturer

Yayas

I have a quick question for people with multiple degrees / skills. I have an occupational therapy degree and 6 years work experience but also a PhD and currently working as a university lecturer on here in Aus on TSS 457. 
If I nominate the OT skill , my 6 years experience gives me 15 points but if I choose the university lecturer I get my work experience as a OT doesn’t count at all and I don’t have lecturing experience to count for the PhD. I’m thinking of just going the OT route but But I’m currently & probably unlikely to work as an OT again. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

If you get a skilled permanent visa you would not be held at gunpoint to remain in that role unless it is a sponsored visa of some sort (employer/regional etc). So I would say go for the one that would get you PR. I've met so many people who came to Australia skilled in one thing then end up doing something completely different.  If it is not a provision of your visa, you can choose any career you like. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As above with the 189/190 skilled visas there is no Condition placed on the visa as to which occupation you must work in. 

With regard to points then most people would use the occupation option that is most likely to provide a successful outcome in relation to your circumstances - the competition for the 189/190 visas is currently considerable due to the reduction in the quotas of these visas this year. 

You mention you are currently in Australia holding a 457 visa - you might also consider employer nomination if they are willing assuming you are both eligible?

Thank you for your response, OT seems best route indeed because I’m targeting the ACT nomination (where OT is on the critical skills list) and university lecturer is not on the critical skills list. My employer unfortunately doesn’t sponsor PR anymore for contract workers.