Living in Sunshine Coast and travel to Brisbance cbd for work

renebo

hi All,

As the subject states I am after those who live in Sunshine Coast and travel to Brisbane for work on a daily.

Please share your views on how you travel, time and how open is the Brisbane working industry to working from home a few days?

We are currently in Melbourne and was planning to move before covid disaster struck.  Being on a 190 State Sponsorship, we were entitled to move in May 2020, but thought we would wait for our lease to end in November.  In the mean time Victoria was seen as a hotspot and we aren't allowed in anywhere and the QLD premier said that if we have 5 cases or less a day for 14 consecutive days, she might consider opening the borders......fair enough

I am working from home at the moment as a Software Test Analyst, so luckily able to do so and hoping to move over and keep my job, however.....if my employer does not allow I am exploring travel options etc.

I am also considering areas like Mango hill, Murrumba downs and North Lakes, would love to hear your views of primary and secondary school and if they offer transport options too.

Hope to hear from you soon.

thanks

Rene

Edited by renebo

Hi Rene,

If you want to commute between the Sunshine coast and Brisbane CBD I would not even consider driving. We live in North Lakes, and the commute in the evenings can take up to an hour with toll roads. The traffic to the Sunshine coast is particularly bad Friday evenings. 

I've seen a few posts from people that take the train. It seems like the norm is driving to a "closer" train station that hopefully has parking and riding the train from there. You're probably looking at a two hour commute then (guessing) each way.

North Lakes has a few public bus routes that run close to schools. Can't speak to the school themselves. 

If you can work remotely, the Sunshine Coast sounds like a good idea, if you're commuting 3+ days a week I personally wouldn't do it.

Cheers.

hi @Janti

Thanks I always like an honest opinion.

Before covid when working in the office door to door would take me 1hr and 23 minutes.....do you travel by train?

Here we have an express line which has fewer stops until about 7am, is there something similar in Brisbane?

Do you live in North Lakes? if so, please share what it is like....if you can 

thanks

Rene

Happy to help, this forum has helped my tremendously. 

I work a bit north of the CBD so it's easier for me to drive, my missus takes the train on occasion. There is an express line that runs from Caboolture into the CBD, it takes about 30 minutes from Dakabin (most convenient station for us) to the CBD. If you live in Mango Hills you can take the Kippa Ring line and jump over at Petrie to get on the express line. The Caboolture line is an express line by default I think. 

North Lakes isn't too bad. It's a fairly new development so the houses are generally new (I can't stand the Queenslanders and their decrepit kitchens and bathrooms). You of course get nice Queenslanders if you shell out $700 a week for rent. :P

You definitely get more value for your money by living in North Lakes. We looked at moving closer, but it's a hard sell. North Lakes has about every shop you want including Ikea and Costco. The restaurants and bars are a bit meh compared to the CBD though. We have dogs, so space is the priority and therefore we'll stick with North Lakes for the time being. 

You'll get swamped by mozzies in Murumba Downs and Griffin. Try and stay away from the North Pine river. 

EDIT

Forgot to add, North Lakes has the biggest concentration of South Africans in Australia (I've heard that statistic thrown around, might be rubbish). Obviously something sits right with South Africans :) 

Edited by Janti

This is great info thank you for taking the time to reply. 

You know what those Queenslanders are awful, just looks awful no-one can convince me otherwise so I agree!! 

OK so I think North lakes is looking like a good option. 

Once we know when we can enter the borders, I will be telling my boss and fingers crossed he let's me work remotely.... Which I am doing now anyways and he probably wouldn't even know if I am already in Brissie!!! 

If not then at least now I have a good idea of trains and areas. 

Thank you very much appreciate it! 

René 

On 9/30/2020 at 3:53 PM, renebo said:

Do you live in North Lakes? if so, please share what it is like....if you can 

Fellow North Lakes resident here.  We rented in Mango Hill initially (BTW Mango Hill has 2 brand new state schools that I've heard very good things about) and wanted to move closer to the CBD but we just couldn't find properties that feel right to us.  We ended up buying in North Lakes.

On 9/30/2020 at 3:53 PM, renebo said:

Here we have an express line which has fewer stops until about 7am, is there something similar in Brisbane?

Yes, the Sunshine Coast line is an express line, 35 minutes from Dakabin to Central Station: https://goo.gl/maps/YSDHiEsUADE17aSc8

On 9/30/2020 at 9:39 AM, renebo said:

I am working from home at the moment as a Software Test Analyst

I'm a software engineer myself and at the moment only have to go into the office 1 day a week.  Most companies have given up part of their leases so I actually think having some days at home is going to continue.

Let me know if you ever need a job, can check with some of my contacts if they need anybody.

Ah awesome feedback thanks Chris. 

I appreciate you answering all those questions I will check out that train line thanks.

Yes very interested in the schools as well as we have 1 primary and 2 secondary kids,thanks for sharing. 

I just can't wait to move, we really need some sunshine despite the lockdown the weather isn't really nice here in Melbourne. So excited to move. 

Thanks Rene 

at this stage I would much rather handle being uncomfortably warm than this Melbourne weather.

Today is supposedly going to be a nice day, but it is so windy and over the weekend back to being miserable lol

anyways, looking forward to our move and if ok we might arrange a meet up.

thanks

Rene