peepee: All set for Aus

peepee

Hi all

Just an introductory note from me: I am a 37 year male (last on the food chain) with a family (wife, 2 daughters and a dreaded mother-in law). We have finally decided to make the big move to Aus.

I was offered a job in Canada 18 months ago, in the small town of Yorkton, Saschatewan. We went on a LSD trip only to find that us City bugs will not be able to adjust to small town life in rural Canada. While there my wife and I visited Grande Prairie in Alberta with a similar job offer. We were stunned and actually accepted the offer tentatively. However the Government took excessively long in supplying me with a HRSDC number required for the work permit application. I only recieved the document this week.

In the meantime I had recieved a job offer from an Australian colleage to take over his livelihood in rural Aus, by the sea. We brushed this off , as we had an offer in Canada. The only thing that bugged about Canada was the damned cold, and 8-9months of snow. What do you do with small kids that are use to the outdoors. Well we flew out to Bundi for a LSD. We were so impressed, even though it was outback and rural, nothing like Pta. It had the sea! We decided that this would be the ideal place to raise our 2 girls. The added bonus is that we can bring the dreaded mom-law with, as my wife is an only child of divorced parents.

I attended an international Conference in Brisbane at the end of March. I have established contacts, and have assured myself that I will be able to work with the Aussies. Bundi has a large SA community of whom we have and will recieve alot of support. Even the Aussies are great! I have recieved sponsorship from a major institution in Queensland and now our paperwork is in the pipeline.

We intend being in Aus by December for good.

Are there any opinions on whether this is a good move? Would Canada have been a better decision? We feel Aus has more to offer for the kids...

Nice meeting you all

Peepee

Welcome PeePee

What can I say? Have never been to Canada but am a Pta Girl living in Queensland for the past five years and love living here.

I believe it will be a good, solid move. The job offer is there, you seem to like the working evvironment, and yes-the sea. Coming from Pta and arriving in December swelter will be the only initial shock. make sure that airconditioned accommodation is organized.

Good idea as you seem to have a SA network in Bundi- organize the school asap. Which school to choose and secure placement. If you decided to go private the sooner the better as sometimes it is difficult to secure a placement.

I also have my mother -in-law here, but as she is 78 and frail she is in fulltime care at a nursing home.I am glad that this has not been a problem for you to bring her, as your wife will settle alot easier. That is just the way it works.

hey-and congratulations! Job offer, nice people, many SA expats, smaller community, close to the city should you want, wide open spaces, great weather 10 months of the year, and the great Pacific Ocean-what more could a man ask for! :(

I can not compare Australia to Canada as I have never been to Canada, however as you said the weather might not be what we in RSA are /were used to. I can however say this, Australia is certainly for us a very good place to live and raise our family. The everage Aussie is friendly and helpfull in our experience. The quality of life here in Australia is very good as far as we are concerned. There are certain issues we do not always enjoy here, but they are minor and require some minor adjustment to overcome. We have adopted Australia as our home country and have that mindset, this has helped us settle here very well. Like my footnote says: home is here the heart is. If your heart is here you will be happy here, if in your heart you prefer Canada, that is here you will be happy. Issues like the weather etc fade away into the bigger picture then.

Where to settle is however an matter decided by your own preferences, values and circumstances. As for the mother in law, good luck... :(

You mention December as your target date to Aussie, have you got your visa yet then ?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Mother-in-law" visa.

If you're living in Bundaberg, Queensland, I take it that the mother in law visa is only for Perth, W.A.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Mother-in-law" visa.

If you're living in Bundaberg, Queensland, I take it that the mother in law visa is only for Perth, W.A.

Or in my case perhaps even further west, say the USA for instance: :(

Hi there

I would definately say good, we have the most wonderful weather, outdoor life, sport friendly people wouldn't change anything, except maybe the darned trolleys.

I have family in Canada but I think Australia is a much better option specially for the kids.

Good Luck

Another thing, I am an only child and want to bring my parents over did you include them on your skilled visa or are you doing a 457. I thought the only way was a parent contributory visa or last remaining relative?

last on the food chain
Hehehe :D

Know what you mean. :ilikeit:

I'd also say Aus (vs Canada) but don't tell the guys on the SACanada site. :) I agree with Queensland Girl that coming from Pretoria (like myself) the HEAT of Queensland could initially be a bit of a shock, but liveable. I personally prefer the type of weather Auckland/ Melbourne/ Cape Town offers.

Welcome to the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Peepee

Welcome and best wishes!

Don't know if you are aware but there are quite a few small islands off the QLD coast and some quite close to Bundaberg - maybe you should consider putting the "dreaded - mother-in-law" on one of those, that way you might get some discount on the visa fee! hehehe

Lyk maar vir my daai skoonma van jou het jou al lekker afge-Peepee!

Lekkerbly en STERKTE!

c'BUG

Edited by chatterbug

Welcome peepee

We had the same decision to make and we chose Australia, also Brisbane. The decision was based on Oz having better weather (although hubby really likes the cold :blink: ) and the fact that our application is sort of 'underway'. I wrote a few feelings under 'chit chat' if you are interested. It should be there for another week before deleted.

I am very happy that we chose Australia as our destination but I was very impressed with Vancouver. I really liked it there and I have no doubt that we would have settled nicely. However, I like the sunshine so I will not deny that was my main 'pull'. We are very excited about moving.

If we do not make it to Oz then I will be happy to move to Vancouver, I really found the Canadian people friendly and wonderful to be around.

See you around

Caroline