Citizenship application for family

Hoping4Oz

Question

Hi Everyone

It's hard to believe that I've been here for nearly 4 years and am now gearing up for the citizenship application.

My question is, after getting our PR in April 2016, my wife and I arrived in Australia in early August 2016 for a visit to check the place out. We stayed for 2 weeks and went back to South Africa. I returned to Australia permanently in late September 2016. My wife and children joined me in mid-January 2017. I was the main applicant and my family was included in the PR application. The family is my wife and 2 children (ages 16 and 11.)

Which date will immigration use to calculate our visa eligibility to apply as a family? Is it the first visit in August 2016, my permanent move in September 2016 or the family's permanent move in January 2017. I would prefer to apply in early August if possible but don't want to take any chances. Sorry if someone's already asked this. I searched Home Affairs and this forum and couldn't find a similar case.

9 answers to this question

There is a 'Residency Requirement' criteria that is a combination of the number of years you have held a visa (temporary and permanent) and the number of days that you have spent outside Australia over two different time periods (the previous 4 years and the last 12 months).

As long as the residency requirement is met then the first date will be considered.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have the exact same scenario exactly 12 months later than OP but everything ties up even the months 🙂

I am eager to find out what was the final outcome of this?

@TeeTMI so if I understand you correctly, the fact that @Hoping4Oz wife and kids only moved in January is immaterial as long as the earliest applicant in the family meets the criteria ie. @Hoping4Oz Dad?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, RussellJ said:

@TeeTMI so if I understand you correctly, the fact that @Hoping4Oz wife and kids only moved in January is immaterial as long as the earliest applicant in the family meets the criteria ie. @Hoping4Oz Dad?

No each adult will need to meet the residency requirement. 

hi all,

Just a quick question at the time of application children younger than 15, will they need valid passports as proof of id?

My eldest daughter will be over 16 by the time we apply, but would she also need a valid passport?

thanks

Rene

On 6/9/2020 at 11:44 PM, Hoping4Oz said:

Wow, just came across your post @Hoping4Oz! I recall your profile name from when we applied for PR back in South Africa 5 years ago and look where we are now....4 years later 🙂 What a journey it's been. Hope all is well ❤

11 minutes ago, RussellJ said:

Hi @TeeTMI,

Would you mind if I PM you regarding this question?

Thanks,

Russell

Can I suggest you rather contact me visa our business email address maybe add some details.  Thank you.