SARS - ceased to be a resident

SA111

Hi All,

Anyone ticked this box on your return? What happens when you do? We have been here for over a year, and on a PR.

Please let me know your experience with the "manual intervention" that followed from SARS.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Would typically trigger what I refer to as a "desk audit" .   This would involve a review of your tax returns, the scope and depth of which would depend on your own individual circumstances.   I'd say the biggest risk items is whether you made a declaration in respect of any deemed capital gains tax (sometimes referred to as a "Exit tax".

3 hours ago, XXXXX said:

Would typically trigger what I refer to as a "desk audit" .   This would involve a review of your tax returns, the scope and depth of which would depend on your own individual circumstances.   I'd say the biggest risk items is whether you made a declaration in respect of any deemed capital gains tax (sometimes referred to as a "Exit tax".

Thanks for your reply. Does this mean they audit your past returns?

Difficult question to answer conclusively.  Typically I’d say no, but if there are any risk indicators or other concerns in the review of the current return, they may look deeper and further back.

current year review, is normally a request for it3, IRP5’s, logbooks, CGT tax calculations and any other relevant information

10 hours ago, XXXXX said:

Difficult question to answer conclusively.  Typically I’d say no, but if there are any risk indicators or other concerns in the review of the current return, they may look deeper and further back.

current year review, is normally a request for it3, IRP5’s, logbooks, CGT tax calculations and any other relevant information

Thank you so much for your reply.

I appreciate the information.