Melbourne Suburbs

Mara

You may find some information at the following site that is of interest.

Next to the search button enter the suburb that you are interested in and click on search, it will then reveal the demographics for that suburb.

http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprof...=3000#mapanchor

If you want prices on property, either to rent or to buy then check out the following website.

http://www.realestate.com.au/

If you need further info, then send me an email or PM and I will try to assist.

Mara

• 7 months later...

Hi Lewe

No problem, we do try!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mara and THANKS,

One of my biggest worries is finding the right place to stay, we have two kids, so, it's even more that the neighborhood is well suited to us. Do you have any suggestions regarding the areas to stay?

Thanks

Candy

Hi Candy

The primary concern for schooling affects most new arrivals, Second to that has to be where you will work. Melbourne is that big that you do not want to live on the East and work on the West.

A huge amount of South Africans have based themselves in the Doncaster and Templestowe areas in the North East. In the North West is Sunbury, where we live, and we have about 20 SA families that live here.

I presume it would also depend on whether you are coming on a 457 or 175. On a 457 you already have a job and would be well advised to try and find a place to stay that is convenient to your work. If you are coming on a 175, it means you are living on your capital and you need to find affordable accommodation as well as convenient to work places.

It also depends on where the bread winner will be working, say for instance it would be city Melbourne. Well then you have to find a place that has a good public transport system, you do not really want to drive to the city or pay for parking, if it is not provided.

Hope that has helped.

Oh Mara - as always very useful info!

Melbourne here I come!!!!!

Nats

Hi Nats

Excellent, the more the merrier!

Hi

We are also going to Melbourne. We intially thought to stay in Sunbury. However, my husband will work in Hawthorn East, so we decided to look at either Hawthorn itself (housing a bit more expensive), but are looking into Doncaster and Templestowe too as it won't be too far from work. Housing looks affordable.

We hope to be flying out by end of March, but we are still waiting for our visa to be approved. We aren't too sure where we will be staying for the first bit until we find a rental house.

Hi to all - especially Mara,

yes, I cannot agree more. Melbourne is big and everything far apart. We live in Yallambie and were invited to Sunday lunch in Sunbury. little did we know ... So we drove and drove and ... lovely scenery, appreciated by all and ended up in Sunbury to only leave at 5 ... to make it - the drive - worth our while.

Not easy to choose a suburb, so many options, but keep in mind work and schools for children! :thumbdown:

Hi Mara,

Now that I have finally figured out how to ask my question, here goes. My husband has a job in Geelong and I have a job in Hawthorne East and initially when I did not have a job, we were planning to live in Sanctuary Lakes on the west side. Any suggestions as to where we could live? We don't want to spend hours in the traffic.

Tx Jenny

Hi JennyH

Not sure you gave you advice, but these two places are around 95klms apart, and hours in the traffic is what is going to happen to you. If you were to live at Sanctuary Lakes, it is still around 40klms to Hawthorne. You could use Citylink, on a daily basis, that is the toll road, but it could prove to be expensive. Even using the toll road, at a guess between 7 and 9am in the morning it is going to probably take you a 75mins to do this trip, on a good day a bit less. The traffic can be really bad. The travel between Sanctuary Lakes and Geelong would perhaps be a bit better, but the Western Ring Road, which is the way you will travel, can often become close to a parking lot at peak time and you could be travelling at 40klms an hour. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. I have never lived in Sanctuary Lakes and have never travelled to these two areas from there, I am just going by what the traffic reports are and the time it takes to cross the city, even with citylink. I am guessing that Sanctuary Lakes will still be your best bet, roughly half way between the two work places, about 60klms between Sanctuary Lakes and Geelong.

Hope this is the info you wanted?

• 1 month later...

Hi Mara

It's been a while since I've been on the forum. Seems like things have changed. You've pinned a thread with caravan parks etc. for LSD trips and I can't seem to find it.

Can you help, please?

Maybe I'm just having a blond moment - which happens quite often . . .

Thanks

LIGGIE

• 2 months later...

My fiance and me will (hopefully) be living in Melbourne soon. I will be going over somewhere between middle of August and end of September - visa depending. My fiance will be coming over a month or two after me.

My work is in Campbellfield close to Ford and hopefully if things work the way we are planning my fiance will work in Bundoora area. From what I could find on the internet Thomastown and Mill Park is in the middle between these two work areas... what are these two areas like. Someone has told us Elthan area is very nice, but it is a little further from my work... Graigieburn and Meadow Heights are also areas that I have been looking at, but once again it is very difficult to judge an area from a distance.

Can someone please comment on these areas or even suggest possible nice areas. We are not too worried about being close to the CBD... more worried about spending too much time in traffic.

, but once again it is very difficult to judge an area from a distance.

Have a look at using Google Maps - you can specify a starting and end point and it will give you an approximation of time and distance - does not take into account traffic conditions but at least gives you an estimate of time

Double click on map to drill down into Vic, then into Melbourne - then clickon Find Directions

Rgds

Matman

Hi everyone

I will be working at Melbourne Uni and was wondering if anyone could suggest suburbs to live that would be convenient and not too expensive. It will just be me, so I'll be looking for a 1 bedroom place.

Thanks

Hi Melbourne-again

If you look at the google maps, that Matman suggested, the post just before yours. Find Melbourne university on it, just about any suburb surrounding it will be good to live in. It all depends on what your needs are, just a one-bedroomed place does not tell us too much about what you are looking for. Do you wish to walk to work, happy to use public transport, have a bit of a garden, etc. Although I must admit, that I would think you may be slightly limited with a 1 bedroom place, but do go and have a look on www.realestate.com.au, and see what they come up with.

Hi Mara

Thanks for the info. I hope that it's not going to be too difficult to find a one bedroom. I don't mind taking public transport, as long as it doesn't take longer than say 45min. I don't want to live in a "busy" suburb - I would prefer a relaxing and quiet atmosphere. A balcony or courtyard would be nice. And I guess close to a trainstation would be a necessity. I have been looking on realestate.com.au and there are a few around, but I really need to start and limit myself to a few suburbs I think, otherwise it just gets too overwhelming!

Do you know of any realestate agents that would help you more than just give them their rental lists? My experience with realestate agents is that they really don't do much to help, but surely there must still be some out there who is happy to do a bit more in helping you find a place? I've looked into getting a relocation agent to help me find accommodation, but they are just so ridiculous with their prices!

Thanks

Melbourne_again

Hi Melbourne_again

Actually you are probably describing the little village that we live in, around 40 minutes by train to the city with affordable rents. Go to www. realestate.com.au and check out Sunbury.

I do not know of any agents that will actually assist you, never heard of one! Sorry!

Hi everyone,

looking for some info/opinions on Wantirna....not much mention of it anywhere. I will be working at Knox Private Hospital, looks like a couple of schools closeby, just wondering what you think of rent prices etc

Hi Leon/Lou

Sorry, opposite side of the city to me, do not know too much about that area. You could PM either Doortjie or HansaPlease, they both live down that way.

Hi Leon/Lou

Sorry, opposite side of the city to me, do not know too much about that area. You could PM either Doortjie or HansaPlease, they both live down that way.

Thanks mara...will do that

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mara and everyone out there

Thank you for the great information you provide to all of us.

We are expected to be in Melbourne around the 01 September 2008, we have been in Melbourne briefly but cannot decide on where to live. Currently, we have to areas that we are considering that is vastly different to each other.

Berwick and Templestowe. the consideration of templesotwe is because it is close to the city and Berwick becasue it has got that country feel. The main thing is that I will be working in the city and the time travelling on public transport would be more should we decide on Berwick.

Could some of you that use public transport from these twon subburbs maybe suggest an average travelling time?