wedwo

wedwo

Question

I am based in South Africa and work as a consultant for a US firm.  I sign annual contracts with them and work full time.  I would like to consider emigration to Aus and keep working for the same firm.  My contract pays a static $7280 US per month (around A$ 10500 pm) and I am effectively treated as a full time employee of the firm but receive my income against an invoice.  How will this affect my status as an immigrant - would it count at all?  I guess from a legal point of view I would register and own a consulting business on the Aus side.

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum! 

Are you asking if your employment history/experience in South Africa with this US company would count as relevant experience towards a skills assessment?  Not sure by what you mean with how this will affect your status as an immigrant - maybe you could clarify? 

Dear @wedwo,

I'm in the exact same boat, where I'll continue working for my current company and invoice on a monthly basis. I've decided not to try an figure it our before we go, but to rather consult a tax practitioner once I am in Australia. 

Here is an article on the matter:

https://www.sableinternational.com/blog/know-your-south-african-tax-residency-status

I read the above article, but it was like staring into the abyss... Hence the reason why I'll rather consult with a professional on the matter. I only know enough about tax to get myself into trouble.

Good luck!