MOVING FROM CAPE TOWN TO MELBOURNE

ALANVR

Hello everyone

I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago pending a job application.

My job offer has now come through so now it's down to sorting out all the detail.

As background I am a professional quantity surveyor, married with two adult / non-dependent children.  My wife and I are both 53 so missed out on the 45 year cut off. I have secured a  fixed term position on a TSS482 4-year medium term visa paying above the threshold.  After 3 years we can apply for PR provided I'm with the same employer and still earning above threshold.  My employer is covering the move (except for pets) and visa for my wife and I so thats one less thing to worry about (except for the pets which cost a fortune to move over).

My wife is not currently employed but will have full working rights on the back of my visa should she wish to do some work.

My elder son is 35 and does not have a tertiary qualification. He owns a retail business here and is in the process of selling.  In the short term he can visit for up to 12 months out of every 18 months.

My younger son is 25 and completing his final year bcomm this year and can then come over on a working holiday visa renewable up to 3 years.

In the short term we seem to be ok.  The crunch is going to be to somehow help our son's also achieve PR during this period.

We are working towards moving across mid Feb with me starting the job on 1st March.

Our pets can only leave SA at the end of May so we have some time to find a suitable house to rent.  In the interim we are looking at staying in an apartment while we wait for our container and pets.

We have many questions so that will follow as we progress.

Regards

Hi Alan

Nice to meet you.  Pity about the age cu off.  We just made it!

You would like Melbourne, people say it is a lot like Cape Town.

I am not so sure your son can get a working holiday visa if he has a South African passport.  It is only available to some countries and South Africa is not one of them.  (Unless of course he has another passport.)

Come say hi when you get here.

Anneke

Hi Anneke

Thanks for responding.  My wife and sons have dual SA and Portuguese citizenship but when we checked on the Immi website they didn’t get preferential options over their SA passport.

I’ll update as we move forward.

Regards

Alan

The working holiday for Portuguese Passport does not seem to be an option from the Immi website - sorry. He could maybe do a Honours and then try transition from there?

5 hours ago, ALANVR said:

Hi Anneke

Thanks for responding.  My wife and sons have dual SA and Portuguese citizenship but when we checked on the Immi website they didn’t get preferential options over their SA passport.

I’ll update as we move forward.

Regards

Alan

Correction on my part.  The SA passport does not provide for a working holiday visa whereas Portugal does.

3 hours ago, F1veClaw said:

The working holiday for Portuguese Passport does not seem to be an option from the Immi website - sorry. He could maybe do a Honours and then try transition from there?

Checked again and it does = 462

2 hours ago, ALANVR said:

Correction on my part.  The SA passport does not provide for a working holiday visa whereas Portugal does.

Checked again and it does = 462

You are correct on the 462. I  was looking at the 417

Hi Alan

I have no idea why I checked, but your son might qualify.

There is an easy working holiday visa, the 417, which does not include Portugal.

But there is also the 462 working holiday visa which has more requirements, including education and english requirements (which he probably meets)

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/work-holiday-462/first-work-holiday-462#Eligibility

I think this will work for you.  It does not lead to PR and he would need to meet certain requirements to be able to renew, but it is something.

Best of luck

Sorry, did not see the previous replies.  You also seemed to have found the 462

Thanks for taking the time to check.