190 PR and Citizenship

Ren

Question

Hi

We recently received our 190PR visas for NSW. Both my husband and I are Chartered Accountants and I was the main applicant. We are making the BIG move in November and our plan was for my husband to find work as soon as possible while I get the kids settled and then I will start looking for something at the end of Jan once the kids start school. Hoping to find something in my field, but I am also open to going in as a junior if the working hours are flexible and then working my way up again. I have also fantasized about the prospect of re-inventing myself and going into something that I actually enjoy, like teaching.

Then it dawned on me..the whole requirement with the 190 is that we live and work in the nominating state for a minimum of 2 years... so then what happens if I don't work for the first 6 months in my field as a CA.. or what if once the kids are settled, I can't find a job as a CA that allows me to be the primary parent as well since we wont have any support there? Will it be held against us at Citizenship time since I am the main applicant?

2 answers to this question

Hi Ren, I honestly do not think they will hold it against you.  We also migrated on Victoria 190 state sponsored visa in Nov 2017. My husband as main applicant is a Mining Engineer and unfortunately he was not able to find employment in his field after 4 months of searching. He eventually got a job at a bank using his MBA that he had achieved in SA before we left. Lucky I already had IT PM interviews lined up by the time we landed so I was able to support the family as sole breadwinner.  We are now almost 2 years in Victoria and although he misses the mining he is doing well at the bank. As part of Visa conditions we also have to complete regular surveys sent by Home Affairs and he did state he is employed at a bank.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, Ren said:

the whole requirement with the 190 is that we live and work in the nominating state for a minimum of 2 years... so then what happens if I don't work for the first 6 months in my field as a CA.. or what if once the kids are settled, I can't find a job as a CA that allows me to be the primary parent as well since we wont have any support there? Will it be held against us at Citizenship time since I am the main applicant? 

NSW states the following on their website:

"Candidates nominated by NSW need to agree to live and work in NSW for at least their first two years in Australia while holding this visa."

If you hold a 189 visa, you can start your own business, pursue any occupation or even choose to stay unemployed.

The 190 visa is different in that you need to live and work in your nominated state for at least 2 years before moving to another state.
Under the 190 visa, there is no mention that you need to work under your nominated occupation, and I assume you should be fine to pursue another occupation as long as you live and work in the state for at least 2 years before moving to another state.

However, before pursuing a different occupation to your nominated occupation, and to be a 100% sure, my advice would be to clarify this with at least 2 different migration agents. You've come this far and don't want to jeopardize citizenship a few years down the line as a result of some breached condition.

Some more information I found: https://www.quora.com/With-an-Australian-189-190-visa-can-I-have-a-job-other-than-the-nominated-occupation

Edited by HappyIsland
added link