1 Way Flight

ScotSobey

Question

Hi there, 

My wife is flying from JHB to Sydney with my children on 9Aug2019. We have recently secured Permanent Residents visas. Purpose of flight is to emigrate. If we book a 1 way ticket and present RSA immigration with our Australian PR visa, should we expect any problems? Or is it better to book a return flight to mitigate any problems that my wife might have on departure? 

Thanks

Scot

4 answers to this question

RSA emigration are not worried about whether you have a return flight or not and wont even check. They only see your passport.  You will be asked at check in for your flight to Aus ( ie the airline check in desk)for proof that you can go on a one way and it is here that you will show your permanent residency visa. 

No worries with travelling on a one way ticket at all.

I've never been asked for proof of an Australian visa when departing from a South African airport.

The airlines have access to the vevo? system which allows them to check your visa status for the country you are visiting(Australia). I always suggest having a hard copy too as a precaution.

Just one thing to note is that you might have difficulty purchasing forex in South Africa without a return ticket. I was basically told no at the bank because I only had a one way ticket. Also sometimes a return ticket on sale is cheaper than a one way.

Edited by tcmiller