Getting a rental with a pet

Hunts

Hi everyone,

My family and I are arriving in Melbourne next month and we are taking our English Cocker Spaniel with us. I have been looking at rental properties on realestate.com.au and there are many properties that match my criteria however when I click on the 'pets allowed' box almost all of the properties disappear. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? If the website says that a property is not pet friendly is that set in stone or are the landlords generally flexible? Where we stay is very important as my daughter will be starting school next year so we need to be in the catchment area of a school that we like.

It depends on the area, if the area has a good school they wont have problems finding tenants that meet their criteria so are less lightly to change the requirements for you, 

Not saying it is impossible, it will just be difficult, you could try offer more than they are asking for rent, when we spotted our current place i wanted to be sure we got it so i offered more and got the place, we dont have pets though, they really do make it much harder here when you are renting

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Most homes will have a "no pets" clause but most times it is so the owner has control over the type of pet that's allowed without being accused of "discriminating". Our daughter recently rented a "no pets" property with a cat approved by the owner.  If they had a viscous Rottweiler for instance,  the owner could simply point to the "no pets" clause without having to justify his decision. Just ask the agent. The owner may add special conditions to the lease agreement if he agrees to a pet (such as that carpets have to be steam cleaned, etc.).  Many homes with polished floorboards will not allow dogs.