Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa is a points-tested visa for applicants sponsored by a State or Territory government agency or sponsored by a family member residing in a designated regional area.

andrewfamily4

Question

I have had a look on the immi website regarding the New Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa for applicants sponsored by a State or Territory government agency or sponsored by a family member residing in a designated regional area.

and it is helpful in letting the applicant know what they need to qualify BUT if I am to sponsor my sister and my niece, what qualifications do I need to be able to sponsor them?

1 answer to this question

The legislation is at https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019L00578

In respect of the Australian sponsor Schedule 1 1241  Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (Class PS)  of the Legislation for the 491 visa specifies:

The applicant:

(a) is nominated by a State or Territory government agency and that nomination has not been withdrawn; or

(b) declares in the application that the applicant is sponsored by a person who:

(i) has turned 18; and

(ii) is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen

If the applicant declares in the application that the applicant (the primary applicant) is sponsored by a person (the sponsor) mentioned in paragraph (b) of item 5 of this table, the applicant also declares that:

(a) the sponsor is usually resident in a designated regional area; and

(b) the sponsor is related to the primary applicant, or the primary applicant’s spouse or de facto partner (if the primary applicant’s spouse or de facto partner is also an applicant for the grant of a Subclass 491 (Skilled Work (Provisional)) visa), as:

(i) a parent; or

(ii) a child or step‑child; or

(iii) a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step‑brother or step‑sister; or

(iv) an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step‑aunt or step‑uncle; or

(v) a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step‑nephew or step‑niece; or

(vi) a grandparent; or

(vii) a first cousin; and

(c) each person who is also an applicant for the grant of a Subclass 491 (Skilled Work (Provisional)) visa, and claims to be a member of the family unit of the primary applicant, is sponsored by the sponsor

and in Schedule 2

(1)  If the applicant is nominated by a State or Territory government agency, the nomination has not been withdrawn.

(2)  If the applicant declared in the application that the applicant is sponsored by a person (the sponsor), the Minister has accepted the sponsorship of the applicant by the sponsor in the following circumstances:

(a)  the sponsor has turned 18;

(b)  the sponsor is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen;

(c)  the sponsor is usually resident in a designated regional area;

(d)  the sponsor is related to the applicant, or the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner (if the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner is also an applicant for a Subclass 491 visa), as:

(i)  a parent; or

(ii)  a child or step‑child; or

(iii)  a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step‑brother or step‑sister; or

(iv)  an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step‑aunt or step‑uncle; or

(v)  a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step‑nephew or step‑niece; or

(vi)  a grandparent; or

(vii)  a first cousin;

(e)  each member of the family unit of the applicant who is also an applicant for a Subclass 491 visa is sponsored by the sponsor.