Quantity Surveyor openings

Hunts

Hi everyone,

I am a senior cost manager (quantity surveyor) currently based in Dubai but my family and I are moving to Melbourne in August. Does anyone have any contacts in Melbourne that I could get in touch with? I am able to move over before my family if required and we are all on 189 visas so working is not a problem. I know the usual websites like Seek however I am only starting to look for work and apply for jobs this week. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

I found looking for and applying for jobs on LinkedIn more effective.  They give you a free month on LinkedIn Premium, sign up for that (you can cancel before the month is up and they won't charge) and start applying for jobs from there.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hunts said:

Hi everyone,

I am a senior cost manager (quantity surveyor) currently based in Dubai but my family and I are moving to Melbourne in August. Does anyone have any contacts in Melbourne that I could get in touch with? I am able to move over before my family if required and we are all on 189 visas so working is not a problem. I know the usual websites like Seek however I am only starting to look for work and apply for jobs this week. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I am a quantity surveyor by profession and have been in Australia since Dec 2016. Firstly I don't think you will have a problem finding a job because there is a lot of work going on, and Melbourne has current and new infrastructure projects getting off the ground. Whether you want to work for Contractors or PQS's my advice is to review all the big companies in Melbourne and send your CV/Resume directly to them. Agents will not be helpful if you are not already in the country. My advice is if you can afford it then rather get over here and get interview ready, the chances of securing the perfect job offshore is few and far between.

Something else very important, the terminology of 'quantity surveyor' is often not used by contractors in Australia, rather 'contracts administrators' and therefore you need to be aware of that when searching through agency websites or job websites. PQS 's are obviously different. Linkedin also is far more reliable as ChrisH has mentioned, but your location needs to be Australia to get a real good response.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:18 AM, ChrisH said:

I found looking for and applying for jobs on LinkedIn more effective.  They give you a free month on LinkedIn Premium, sign up for that (you can cancel before the month is up and they won't charge) and start applying for jobs from there.

I can concur. LinkedIn is a very effective strategy, especially when applying from overseas. It's a lot more personal when approaching contacts through LinkedIn directly, and you aren't competing against hundreds of other applicants (many of which will have local experience). Job boards such as seek.com.au will offer a more mainstream list of jobs (they're the number one job board) but it's also very competitive. 

• Like 1

@Hunts Another approach is to contact companies directly. You should know who are the Associations for cost controllers & quantity surveyors. They have a Board and often a member's list. Also identify who are the sponsors for their events. Start to make contact with them. Get an idea what projects are starting up and what problems do they encounter. Massive local infrastructure spending in Australia for the next 3 years.

https://www.costengineer.org.au/chapters/victoria-chapter/

http://www.aiqsalist.com.au/search   (here is a list  of 3 pages for Vic)

Never ask for a job directly, but ask questions. There are many advice on the forum how to go about it.

From the member organisations, use Linkedin to find people that was used to work there. They will be more likely to respond to some questions. See Leanne's 2 videos on how to use Linkedin on this forum.

@ottg thanks for the advice. Luckily I managed to get an internal transfer with my company to the Melbourne office starting in August.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 6:48 AM, Hunts said:

@ottg thanks for the advice. Luckily I managed to get an internal transfer with my company to the Melbourne office starting in August.

Congratulations!!

I recently got 189 with my family and lm looking for opportunities to move. Any connections that may assist me in that.