Starting the Process

CurlyT

Question

Hi there, 

After talking about making the move (not very seriously) for the last couple of years, my husband and i have finally decided to make the move. We plan on applying for a 189 Visa . 

After having a chat with a migration agent, we have decided to do the IELTS test first, as the agent told us it may be the biggest hurdle (points calculations put him at 70/75 points depending on IELTS outcome). 

If anyone can help with the following questions, I would really appreciate it:

• Can anyone assist in advice for training/practice material for the IELTS test? most of the sites i find online only have a practice listening test, not the other sections
  • is the workshops worth it, will the online practice tests be enough?

Thank you

8 answers to this question

In short ielts is a normal exam. The speaking is done with a real person. This all has some benefits. The test are limited places and very as you saw you wait long to write and even longer to get the results 

Pte is done on a computer. Which has some benefits and disadvantages. The speaking is for example is some getting use to. But as I said you can probably get a test every day of the week and the result with In a day or 2. 

So it's really up to you. If you still unsure or want to do the pte, pm me your email addres I will send you a file with 3 tests on it. It's as close to real thing and you can make informed decision.

Hi there,

Is there a specific reason you decided on IELTS and not the PTE? I have done the both test and must say there is definitely pros and cons to both but what I have found the biggest benefit for me with the PTE was was that the waiting time.  There is almost a test daily and you get your results very quickly. They say 5 days but I got mine the next day.  So maybe do some research on the 2 different test. Once you decide on one I can give you some practice material.

regards 

Philip  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Philip84 said:

Hi there,

Is there a specific reason you decided on IELTS and not the PTE? I have done the both test and must say there is definitely pros and cons to both but what I have found the biggest benefit for me with the PTE was was that the waiting time.  There is almost a test daily and you get your results very quickly. They say 5 days but I got mine the next day.  So maybe do some research on the 2 different test. Once you decide on one I can give you some practice material.

regards 

Philip  

To be honest, its not really something we thought about. 

What were your experiences with the two?

Just checked the next IELTS date for Johannesburg though, and its only at the end of April 😕

21 minutes ago, Philip84 said:

Hi there,

regards 

Philip  

Like mentioned above, there are pro's and con's to both. My wife and I sat doing the IELTS for a few months (were unaware at the time Pearson PTE was an option). This set us back almost 5 months as the exam dates are limited and the results take much longer than PTE to be released. The other issue we had with IELTS is that there is a very high probability your Speaking Test will be on a different day (we both had to take a half day leave to do the speaking in the middle of the week). I can't speak for anyone else, but both my wife and I were unable to score higher than 7.0 for the Writing with IELTS. Even had one of the test sent back for a re-mark. This after we Scored 9.0 for all other sections. PTE on the other hand you could probably book a sitting for early next week if you booked today, and as mentioned above results are released very shortly thereafter. If we had know this sooner we would have had everything done much sooner.

Either way, we have since received our 189 Grant and are flying out 19 May this year. We did everything ourselves without making use of an Agent as our situation was pretty straight forward. Feel free to send a PM if you have any other questions. 

• Thanks 1

Hi CulyT and Philip84

My wife is writing the IELTS test on the 6th of April.  There is a brilliant guy with the name of Chris Pell on Facebook that can help you prepare for the test.

Could you kindly send me some practice material as well.

Much appreciated 

Blessings

Not sure if it has changed but when I wrote the IELTS - you got a boat load of information/practice tests immediately after you registered for the tests. 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, TEAM3REDEL said:

Hi CulyT and Philip84

My wife is writing the IELTS test on the 6th of April.  There is a brilliant guy with the name of Chris Pell on Facebook that can help you prepare for the test.

Could you kindly send me some practice material as well.

Much appreciated 

Blessings

Hi Please Pm me your email address then I will send you a google drive linke to download the tests 

Thanks all. 

The husband ended up taking the PTE (format was not comfortable for him, not a great result :( )

He then went ahead and did the IELTS test, with a much better outcome. 

Thanks for all the assistance.