Melbourne to Brisbane?

MariusO2

Hello all

We’ve been in Melbourne for almost 2 years now. We don’t hate it but we don’t love it either. It’s nice. 

There’s a chance we might be given the opportunity to move to Brisbane in July. 

Would be nice to hear the thoughts of those of you who have lived in both places. 

Is Brisbane as full of bogans as Melburnians would have one believe? I doubt it but other peoples’ input would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance 🍻👍🏻

My step sister spent 2 months in Brisbane last year while job hunting. She said its nice, that its small enough to travel around and explore easily. The cons were that she found it VERY hot and humid. She didn't like that its so far from the beach (one would think its next to the beach but its not). All first world problems.  She is in Sydney now and said people in Brisbane are a bit different from Sydney people (Sydney people are more fashionable and bussines like) and Melbourne People (more hipster and chilled). She compared them to be more like what we would expect Americans to be like. Large Utes, more motorbikes, more large dudes on bikes with tats where in melbs its not so common (biker gangs)... and maybe a bit more loud? Not sure what exactly she meant but she said Brisbane reminded them of Texas a bit. We had an opportunity to relocate to Brisbane but didn't. There are loads of happy Saffas there as far as I know, my husband was offered a job with a group of IT guys all from SA and they LOVE it there. I think anything will be what you make of it! Good luck. I hope someone else can help with 1st hand experience.

Haven't lived in Melbourne myself, but moved from Fourways to Brisbane.  

Brisbane is awesome for families, it is way more chilled than Joburg ever was.  Sort of like Durban.

Sure there are bogan areas, but I haven't felt that it is over the top.

• Like 1

Thanks very much 👍🏻

Brisbane is fantastic and like every city you'll find areas you like and areas you don't. I find people very friendly and laid back. Brisbane is also very geared towards families. Is it hot, yes it's hot but it's really not that bad. Like it was said above - Brisbane is like Durban. 

We’re not a 2.4 kids kind of family. It’s just us and two Staffies. And you’re not going to believe it but they’re one of the main reasons we want to move. They miss their Pretoria pool. We can’t afford a house in Melbourne with a pool whereas in Brisbane we can. We’d like to be somewhere near water with a bit of a view and a pool. Somewhere where we can ride bikes and walk the dogs. We don’t have super complicated needs. 

87B2AB59-5B3A-45ED-B6E5-F93CED92079F.jpeg

Edited by MariusO2
Added pic

Then you'll really like Brisbane!  Plenty of affordable (compared to Melbourne) housing near the water (bayside not beach) and your babies will love it

It is the same climate as Durban and a bit similar to it too in that there are fancy areas and poor areas and everything in between - just like any city anywhere in the world really. It is nothing like America. It is not particularly bogan or bikie or any other thing any more than Sydney or Melbourne are and will be what you make of it. I find in life that you see/find what you are looking for. So think Durban by the sea and pick yourself a slice of paradise ♥

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mel-B said:

more large dudes on bikes with tats where in melbs its not so common

Not that I agree that there are more large dudes on bikes BUT...

That's only because Melbourne is too damn cold to be riding in the wind with your tatts out on view LOL

• Like 1

I have to laugh at this thread. I’ve never heard Brisbane compared to America, but...there may be something to it (in a good way).

We moved here from Adelaide. I really like Brisbane a lot. Aircon is not negotiable, btw 😅

Our most recent Brisbane move has been to the countryside, 1 hour out of town. Lots of people have utes, old Landdrovers, etc, mixed in with the fancy cars. And there are some fancy ones!

My husband is 6,4’ (damn tall) and he seems a lot bigger in all his padded bike gear and boots. He has 3 motorbikes and a ute. We went to the States 2 years ago and he absolutely loved it there. So, yes 😂

Like anywhere, you can find a little slice of what you enjoy, in each State. If we wanted to be city people we could do that too, but for now we’re enjoying mountains, and small-town life outside Bris. 

I quite like going into town and saying hi to 5 people. I can even wear a tradie shirt covered in paint if we’re working outdoors. Nobody even looks at you ‘funny’.

When I’m in Pretoria it’s all restaurants and jewellery, haha!! I actually prefer dressing down now and being more relaxed. Brisbane has released my inner country bumpkin and I really enjoy it :)

Edited by Bonny
  • Like 3

Bonny that sounds amazing , and just the life I want for my family and my kids. We are lodging our 189 on Friday and our plan is to land in Brisbane whenever we get our Visa Grants. I will be looking for IT work and I really want to live in a smaller town which is more laid back , with beautiful views and an outside lifestyle. Where about did you settle ? Is the commute to Brisbane very difficult ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAINKINGx1 said:

Bonny that sounds amazing , and just the life I want for my family and my kids. We are lodging our 189 on Friday and our plan is to land in Brisbane whenever we get our Visa Grants. I will be looking for IT work and I really want to live in a smaller town which is more laid back , with beautiful views and an outside lifestyle. Where about did you settle ? Is the commute to Brisbane very difficult ?

Good luck with the visa!  I don't know where @Bonny is but I've heard Samford is a good town for commuting into Brisbane daily.

Don't listen to what others say, I was very hesitant to move to Brisbane because everybody said all the IT work is in Sydney and Melbourne.  Until this day I haven't struggled finding IT work in Brisbane.  Hit me up when you get your visa, I'll see what I can do to get you in for some interviews.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are about 15 minutes further out from Samford, and about $400k cheaper 😉 We personally don’t have to commute in, but a lot of our neighbours commute via train (from Ferny Grove or -mostly- Petrie), motorbike or car. Many seem to have negotiated 1 or 2 days a week to work from home. Apart from Brisbane city, North Lakes is also 30 mins from us and that’s becoming quite a business hub too.

Edited by Bonny
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bonny said:

We are about 15 minutes further out from Samford, and about $400k cheaper 😉 We personally don’t have to commute in, but a lot of our neighbours commute via train (from Ferny Grove or -mostly- Petrie), motorbike or car. Many seem to have negotiated 1 or 2 days a week to work from home. Apart from Brisbane city, North Lakes is also 30 mins from us and that’s becoming quite a business hub too.

Yeah we ended up buying in North Lakes, it just felt right! I believe it is now the suburb in Queensland with the highest density of South Africans.

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, ChrisH said:

Yeah we ended up buying in North Lakes, it just felt right! I believe it is now the suburb in Queensland with the highest density of South Africans.

That’s great Chris, I didn’t know you bought. We just flattened the savings at North Lakes Springbok foods last week 😂😂 The lady says they don’t even have to advertise at all. 

On 1/27/2019 at 11:17 AM, Bonny said:

That’s great Chris, I didn’t know you bought. We just flattened the savings at North Lakes Springbok foods last week 😂😂 The lady says they don’t even have to advertise at all. 

Yeah we didn't plan on buying, but when we started looking into how much a bond would be we realized that its not much more than renting.  North Lakes is great, we definitely don't go out of our way to mingle with South Africans but we've made some really good friends through our kids activities.

• 3 years later...

Been living in Brisbane now for almost 9 months so thought to add my 2c 🙂 (I know it is a couple years since the question was asked but just for anyone else that comes across this thread)

Had the privilege to travel to Hobart, Melbourne and Adelaide for work, so I'm drawing some of my conclusions from limited exposure to other cities.

Firstly, also picked up from the Melbournians that they consider Brisbane to be Bogan Ground Zero (there is a little truth to that 😃)

Weather wise, Brisbane wins hand down. Aircon is almost a must, but id rather sweat in the humid sub-tropics than freeze and blow away in the 4 season in one day Melbourne. Loved Tassie in the winter, but not sure if I could take that weather everyday. 

If you depend on public transport and would like to commute in Brisbane, you will need to be a little bit wary when choosing neighborhoods. The public transport here is fantastic, but Melbourne is on a different level.

Lastly what I actually wanted to say. Don't look down on the Bogan's. My wife had a slow puncture on her car and did not know how to inflate it herself. A guy in a built up Patrol with a moustache and mullet saw that she was struggling and came over to help her. So yeah, might be more "Bogan" or "Florida" here in Brisbane, but that ain't necessarily a bad thing