Long stay tourist visa?

Robbie_P

Question

Hi All,

My Dad (61) has been in Australia for the past year on a tourist visa (600). His visa is valid for a year (expires soon) and he has been abiding to the visa conditions set.

Every 3 months he is required to leave Australia, which he then travels to spend time with my brother in New Zealand, so that has worked out well for him.

In April this year, my dad also applied for a sub class 143 visa, which has a very long processing time.

My dad needs to apply for another tourist visa, but I was wondering what the chances are of getting a “more favorable” tourist visa?

By that I mean, is it possible to get a visa duration longer than 12 months as well as increasing the max stay limit more than 3 months?

Cheers,

Robbie

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Hi, my mom had the exact same visa (she came to visit 3 times). Last month she applied and received a 600 visa again, also valid for 3 years, but now she can stay for 12 out of every 18 months. So she will come here for a year, and go back to SA for 6 months while she is waiting for her 143 visa. It is up to the visa section to decide what visa you get, so in my invitation letter I asked for a visa permitting 12 every 18 months visits due to her being retired and me being her only child, etc. This is the longest visiting tourist visa option available as far we know. She had to do a medical. And she needs private insurance while here. We stipulated in our invite letter that we are aware of the private medical requirements and that we will ensure that she doesn't overstay her conditions.

• Like 1

As @Mel-B confirmed, parents of people holding PR or Citizenship in Australia get a longer stay visa after the initial 1 year visa.