English Test: Best/ most useful IELTS/ PTE training material

nanettedv

Question

Hi 

I've just completed the Pearson's PTE Academic and I did not fare too well. For some strange reason my speaking did not score very highly (I had the same experience in the following post:

I've decided to take a few weeks to read through the training material for both to identify which of the two I am most comfortable with. 

Can anyone please recommend training material/ sites that helped you pass either IELTS or PTE? I used E2Learning and their methods.

Thanking you in advance!

10 answers to this question

hi

send me your email address and I will send you a zip file  I got online.  It is 3 complete test with answers. Does not give you a score but you can use to prepare for all 4 sections. it helped me get use to the test environment 

regards 

P

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Philip84 said:

hi

send me your email address and I will send you a zip file  I got online.  It is 3 complete test with answers. Does not give you a score but you can use to prepare for all 4 sections. it helped me get use to the test environment 

regards 

P

Hi please email it to me. 

arusha12@gmail.com 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, nanettedv said:

For some strange reason my speaking did not score very highly

Have a look at this:

We did both the PTE and IELTS. We did the latter because we also considered Canada at that stage.

With the PTE I also did well, except with the speaking part as the computer (that marks the speaking) probably could not understand my pronunciation (yep, especially we 1st language Afrikaans speakers). I think it could be useful to talk slowly and very clearly. Practice that at home using a speech to text editor in MS Word (or similar) - this will give you an indication of what pronunciation is problematic for the computer to process.

Of course they will use a different software to mark you, but still, it will give you an understanding of the comp's limitations.

To focus on your pronunciation may save you a lot of preparation time - it doesnt help your grammer etc is perfect but the stupid comp still doesnt understand.

With the IELTS you have an interview with a person which is much easier, but I struggled with the Writing as it is like the writing we did in school (letter and essay on paper - no copy, paste and delete like in PTE). 

Edited by forrie

Wife and I also struggled with IELTS writing. 9’s all round except could not break 7 for the writing. Have heard this is quite a common complaint with IELTS. PTE seems more forgiving with this. The other issue we had with the IELTS was the long wait for bookings and results. So if you are pressed for time PTE is much more convenient. The online tests offered by Pearson is very helpful to determine how your speaking will fare as it is marked by the same system which marks the official tests.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:23 PM, nanettedv said:

Hi 

I've just completed the Pearson's PTE Academic and I did not fare too well. For some strange reason my speaking did not score very highly (I had the same experience in the following post:

I've decided to take a few weeks to read through the training material for both to identify which of the two I am most comfortable with. 

Can anyone please recommend training material/ sites that helped you pass either IELTS or PTE? I used E2Learning and their methods.

Thanking you in advance!

HI,

I have done both IELTS & PTE. Preferred IELTS over PTE. Found following link useful. 

http://ieltsliz.com/

Best wishes

Andy

looking to write my PTE exam soon as well. 

Can someone please provide me with some training materials? 

gen_who0419@hotmail.com

Hi Chien

I sent to you. Good luck with the test. I did the IELTS and PTE and think both have pros and cons in terms of doing them. Why I opted to go with the PTE for the 2 simple reasons.  Dependent on the study center you can almost do a test every day or 2 and get yourself within day or 2. The IELTS is different story...  

• Thanks 1

Hi Chien, look at the youtube channel of E2Language, they have brilliant PTE preparation material. I bought the silver preparation package and ended up not using it at all because the youtube videos were all I needed.

• Like 1

I wrote both the IELTS and the PTE. Studied quite hard for IELTS but I got 9 speaking, 8.5 reading, 7.5 listening and 7.5 writing. 

So I switched to PTE which i think is actually a harder exam but its marked easier. I got 90 for everything but 88 for writing. The key for me was buying the E2language basic package and practicing the speaking over and over again. So basically you need to go into it with a plan on how you will answer each type of question and just keep on practicing until it comes to you naturally.