EOI update

WernerM

Question

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have many questions. I have found many answers here, so thank you very much for that.

The one answer that still elludes me is my ability to update my EOI after I turn 45, which is around the corner I am afraid. I am currently busy with my Engineers Australia application and already wrote my IELTS. I received 8’s for all except the writing (7.5). Which brings me to my question. If I re-write my IELTS and get all 8’s, can I update my EOI after I turn 45, or will that disqualify me?

Thank you

7 answers to this question

3 hours ago, WernerM said:

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have many questions. I have found many answers here, so thank you very much for that.

The one answer that still elludes me is my ability to update my EOI after I turn 45, which is around the corner I am afraid. I am currently busy with my Engineers Australia application and already wrote my IELTS. I received 8’s for all except the writing (7.5). Which brings me to my question. If I re-write my IELTS and get all 8’s, can I update my EOI after I turn 45, or will that disqualify me?

Thank you

I assume your EOI is for 189/190/489 Visa? 

You can update you EOI at any time. The Date of Effect (DOE) changes each time your EOI changes with regards to points. It is this date that is used to determine your place in the que (after points obviously). Your EOI will also automatically update itself with regards to items such as your age or if your current employment adds additional work experience points during the time you are in the que. Remember that the requirement is that you must be under the age of 45 at the time of Invitation, and not at the time of submitting your EOI. This means that after 45 you will no longer be eligible for the Visa even if you submitted/updated your EOI before you turn 45. So to answer your question, no you cannot update your EOI after 45 as your EOI will no longer be valid as you would not meet the age requirement anymore. If you receive an Invitation before you reach 45 though, then you will be fine.

Have you already submitted you EOI? I see that you mentioned you are busy with the Engineers Australia application. Just remember that you need to have a positive skills assessment from EA before you can submit your EOI. What are your points on at the moment and when do you turn 45? Also what is your Occupation? We also struggled to get the additional points using IELTS. If you are really pressed for time I could maybe suggest you do the Pearson PTE Academic exam. You can get a booking within a week usually (can write most days of the week) and results are available within 5 days. We received them the following day actually. It is a different format to IELTS as it is all computer based, even the speaking and is also marked by a Computer. However we found it much easier to get the higher marks on the writing which we felt was almost impossible with IELTS.

Edited by frosty

I am a mechanical engineer. I have not started my Engineering Australia process yet since I had to wait for the IELTS results first. In light of what you said the EOI route do not seem feasible anymore, I turn 45 in early march and if everything goes perfectly I will only get a positive assessment from Engineering Australia in January / February.

Can anyone recommend another route?

Hi Werner,

I am not really sure on other Visa routes, maybe some other members would be able to respond to your question more informatively. As my wife an I are both late 20's we obviously opted for the 189 Visa, thus I can only share my experience on our process. Unfortunately the 189 and 190 Visa routes are kind of like playing the lottery (although you can make an informed prediction), depending on your occupation and points you could get a invite in the very next round, or you could end up waiting a few months. If you do have high points I do not think all hope would be lost, but there are no guarantee's. If I may ask, what do your points look like at this time?

Just to give you a bit of info on our EA Assessments. Both my wife and I had assessments done. There are two assessments EA does, the Migrant Skills Assessment (MSA), this one is mandatory for your EOI. And a Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment, which is optional. As my wife is the main applicant we also had the Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment done for her (note that this is optional for claiming points, Home Affairs does their own assessment on employment regardless, it is just recommended to do it to be sure that they view your experience as relevant before you claim it on your EOI). As we have rather limited experience still we wanted to make 100% sure the experience we claim will count towards the points we believe we have, thus we opted for this assessment as well. For myself we only did the MSA. For both our applications we used the Fast Track Option (which incurs additional costs) and the timeline for our assessments were as follows:

Wife (MSA and Skilled Employment Assessment):

Application Submitted: 10/06/2018

Request for Additional Documents: 09/07/2018

Outcome of Application: 20/07/2018

Myself (MSA):

Application Submitted: 10/08/2018

Outcome of Application: 04/09/2018

We submitted our EOI on Skill Select on the 04/09/2018 and received our Invitation 11/10/2018. This was with 70 pts. as Civil Engineer.  

There are some prediction websites out there, which use their own stats to predict when you could possibly receive an Invitation based on your points and EOI Date or Date of Effect (whichever is more recent). Unfortunately they cannot guarantee their estimates as Home Affairs can make changes at any time, however I can say that their prediction for our Invitation was correct. We also received a pre-invitation from NSW for the 190 Visa, however we decided to reject it as we received the 189 Invitation shorty after. For 190 State Sponsorship they select based on their needs, so there is no way to really predict their invitation. If they do select you, you will receive a pre-invitation from the Sponsoring State whereby they do a small assessment of their own, and if they are happy they instruct Home Affairs to issue a 190 Invitation on you EOI. This can happen at any time of the month, and they are not issued at the same time as the 189 Invitations. However, be sure to check beforehand if you meet the states requirements, each state has their own list. Some of the states also have additional requirements such as minimum work experience, minimum English results and for Example Queensland requires engineers first to be professionally registered with their State professional body (which is an additional assessment on its own). You would need to make sure you if you apply for a specific state that you already meet these requirements, as they will reject your pre-invitation if you don't, and you will not receive a 190 Invitation from them.

10 hours ago, WernerM said:

I turn 45 in early march and if everything goes perfectly I will only get a positive assessment from Engineering Australia in January / February.

Have you considered asking EA to 'Fast Track' your skills assessment? 

You might also look at the 190/489 visa options?

8 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

Have you considered asking EA to 'Fast Track' your skills assessment? 

You might also look at the 190/489 visa options?

Yes, we have. As it is now, if I get the IELTS or equivalent band in shortest posssible time and all the paperwork in time, I should be able to submit my EOI in January at the earliest. That only leaves one or maybe two invitation rounds before I turn 45. The 190 and 489 I will have a look at but afaik they also have the 45 cut-off.

Edited by WernerM

On 10/29/2018 at 6:27 AM, WernerM said:

If I get my Ielts up to all 8’s our points will be 65 under the 189 visa.

16 hours ago, WernerM said:

Yes, we have. As it is now, if I get the IELTS or equivalent band in shortest posssible time and all the paperwork in time, I should be able to submit my EOI in January at the earliest. That only leaves one or maybe two invitation rounds before I turn 45. The 190 and 489 I will have a look at but afaik they also have the 45 cut-off.

With 65 points, unless there is a amazingly significant change in migration policy, you will not obtain an invitation within 2 months.

The score of 65 is the minimum score to submit an EOI - invitations for the 189 are issued to people within the pool with the highest score first. 

You might take a look at our web page http://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/DaystoInvite

I don't know your full circumstances to comment on your case, however if you are to receive an invite I would suggest that from what you have stated that it is likely you need to move very swiftly and look at the state sponsored options (if open to you) and the applications for these can again take valuable time.