To Do/Get list

Alchemist

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a list of things to bring (such as letter from insurance company stating non claiming for Australian reference when getting car insurance) and / or drivers license conversion how to-s?

Things like a to do/must remember to bring from SA etc?

Thanks all!!!

Here you go:

That list is great - we used it a LOT!

The one thing that people still seem to forget often is the letter confirming that your drivers license is valid. Send an email to CTC@rtmc.co.za with your ID number, date of birth and drivers license number, and ask them for confirmation that your license is valid. They will then issue an official letter confirming your drivers license. The problem is 2fold: First, there is drivers license fraud in SA, and second our licenses don't have our full names (just initial and surname) while the Australian ones have both. So the authorities here want confirmation that your license really belongs to you. 

It took 2 days to get our letters (well, to get the email confirming they were ready, I fetched it myself from Midrand which is probably easiest since you're in Joburg). 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I only brought the following docs:

1) passport

2) copy of work contract (always good to have that with you)

3) copy of approved visa application (not required at airport but when I applied for car loan they wanted to know visa period - will probably be helpful for other  loan applications also)

4) the printout I got when opening an online bank account at Commonwealth bank while still in SA

5) a printout of the private healthcare (havnt needed it yet, but maybe helpful when an accident happen - I almost stepped on a snake on a hiking trip here) 

6) prove of SA address if you want to exchange money at JHB airport (nothing like that required in Austr) 

7) Unabridged birth certificates (havnt used it but will be required for PM application). It doesnt look like they require an unabridge marry cert.

8 ) other docs like academic cert (also on memory stick and computer - I had to give a copy to the work).

Other docs that helped me when I got here:

1) Statement from Commonwealth bank with my Australian address on it that I could use as proof of address when applying for queensland drivers license.

Docs I havnt needed thus far:

1) prove that I paid my house rent/loan in SA (they are more happy to see that you have something in your Australian bank account)

It was really helpful to keep all docs in one folder in my backpack and electronic copies on a memory stick.

I also have a memo with some passwords and usernames - both of your SA and Aust stuff.

Edited by forrie