155 Res Return Visa

Gareth2018

Question

Hi There

We have been living in Sydney for almost 2 years.

My wife needs to travel to the USA (she has a USA visa in her SA passport) and we realised we require a 155 RRV since our PR has expired and we don't yet have citizenship. 

Initially we thought this was a pretty quick process but I am reading reports it can take months and not weeks.

Does anyone have any experience in this? All forms are submitted but its simply impossible to speak to someone to get updates.

She has already booked and paid for flights and hotels etc. 

She leaves on the 1st of November. 

Any advice or help please?

Thank you 

10 answers to this question

This website says it should only take one business day to process if you apply for it inside Australia; maybe this is an emergency version of the visa, which someone told me thinks his friend applied for (not sure if it's possible to get an emergency version); perhaps you could contact this company and ask them about it: https://www.immigrationdirect.com.au/travel-visa/resident-return-visa.html

But then this website that looks like a government website says generally it takes 71 days but can even take 5 months for some people: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't travel out of Australia without the RRV being granted. If you do, then you might not be able to get back in to the country as a permanent resident.

Edited by Avatar

15 hours ago, Avatar said:

@Avatar Thank you for your quick reply. I was hoping there was another solution. Doesn't look like there is an emergency version. Very stressful.

• Like 1

According to this: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/155-

"You can apply online right now, without providing any documents and you may be granted automatically if:

• you are a permanent resident
  • you have resided in Australia for a total of at least 2 years within the last 5 years
  • your name and date of birth have not changed since grant of your last visa."
  • Like 1

Thanks @greggle

We applied online about 2 weeks ago. But there is no way to fast track it or get updates.

The website says around 70 days to get it, and she needs it in the next 2/3 weeks max. 

Desperate for any guidance as to how to speed it up or who to call? Or if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks all 

if this is your first rrv, you must add proof that you re returning - things like your rental agreement, or rates bill, kids school enrollment, a letter from your employer, a letter stating all other members of the family are staying etc. You delay things by not adding it immediately on application - once you add these docs it will get your visa application going again.

• Like 1

@TeeTMI I noticed your name has come up a few times as an agent. Would you be able tp provide any direction or time frames here? That would be much appreciated. Thank you

The Resident Return visas are generally pretty swift, however there can be considerable variation depending e.g their work load and your circumstances. 

You might check your junk mail, ImmiAccount and VEVO just in case it has been granted  http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/visas-and-migration/visa-entitlement-verification-online-(vevo)/visa-holders-using-vevo

Unless there are specific issues in respect to your application (e.g. a normal applications meeting the residency requirements) , and any required documents have been provided, I suspect it is likely you may hear soon? 

However, from what you have stated your application may not meet the 2 year residence requirement for more straightforward processing in which case the application may take longer.  It is not possible to comment on your personal case without having considered the details. 

You might include details of the flight etc and reasons for urgency - but it will probably be picked up ion date order.

If you are looking for professional assistance I'd be happy to take a look - feel free to email me at the email address below.  

Hi Gareth2018, I have just applied online( today) to get a new RRV for my daughter and it came back within 10 mins approved.  I was in the same boat as you last year when we were applying for a RRV visa but had not been in the country for 2 years.  It is imperative that you give them lots of documentation to prove your ties to Australia. As stated in my previous post you need to give them things like proof you own a house or  a rental agreement. A letter from your employer ( if employed) stating you are returning and that you have been granted leave. Childrens school enrollment proof and even a letter stating the rest of the family are remaining here if that is the case. It is quite easy to skip the section where you need to add documents as we did the first time and it held up our application by weeks.

Hope this helps.

@SandraDeeThank you so much. We have been here for 22 months, so close to the 2 years...we added all the necessary documents and it should be an easy approval. But have waited 3 weeks and her trip is in 2...panicking.

@TeeTMIThank you. As I say, we have been here 22 months (give or take a few weeks for a trip back to SA). We submitted proof of employment for her, kids enrollment in schools, pre-approval for a home loan proof and some other documents. Total silence and not a single person that can provide any updates. I will contact you on your email, thank you 

I suppose its the number of years you've been here, I recently applied just under 4 yrs ... RRV granted immediately