Homeschooling Registration

Tweety88

Hi Everyone,

We are researching a move to Australia. Our agent says South Australia would be first choice, I haven't asked for his reasons yet, just trusting his advice as we have never been to Oz. 

We want to homeschool our kids there. Is there anyone who has moved to Australia and is homeschooling? Can you give me any information on the legal requirements, red tape, difficulties around homeschooling? 

Thank you! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Different States have different requirements for home schooling. In some States one has to fill in a lot of paper work that needs to get authorised, e.g., in Tasmania, and in other States one just signs a declaration that one wants to home school and will make sure the children are properly schooled, and I think that is the case in QLD and possibly South Australia. Just do a Google to look for home schooling requirements per State and most likely you will come across the information. Another option is distance education, which is a bit different. This avoids a lot of the red tape because your children are enrolled into a registered school and one doesn't then have to fill in any paper work, but then one needs to follow the curriculum and submit required work through to the school, but the children can be completely at home and there is a lot of guidance for tutors.

Edited by Avatar

Thank you so much for your post. I have a 13yo and a 17yo that are both homeschooled. My 17yo has not yet finished high school as we have taken it at his own pace. My 13yo is on track with most subjects. Will they both be able to do distance learning? We will be in Canberra 

I don't know about the specifics of home schooling or distance education schooling in Canberra, but I am sure it will be possible. you just need to find a suitable distance education school. I suggest you approach distance education schools and see if they will accept enrolment for your children. I am sure they could be enrolled in distance education schools in other States if there is nothing in Canberra; the schools don't have to be in Canberra. Some distance education schools are expensive so that is something to think about too. Hopefully someone else can help you with more specifics.