Life insurance in Australia on temporary skills visa (482 visa)

Andpatt

Question

Hi,

Is it possible to get life insurance in Australia if you are not a citizen or permanent resident? We are going to Sydney at the end of September and I would like to take out life insurance when I get there, but I see this is not possible through Zurich insurers, unless you are a permanent resident.  

Does anyone know if there are Australian insurers that give life insurance to migrants?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Get life insurance through an Industry Super fund.

When you get a job, your employer will put 9% of your gross salary into a Superannuation fund of your choice. 

This comes on top of your regular wage or salary, and you don’t even see it in your pay packet, nor are you taxed on the amount. 

“Industry” super funds offer cheap life insurance because they get life insurance at a bulk discount rate for their large number of members. 

https://www.industrysuper.com/

Join a super fund applicable to your profession or trade, look at the life insurance and get a quote for the level of life insurance you think you might need. 

Edited by Bob

We had temp residence for 4 years and we had life insurance through OnePath and now TAL. Shop around for the best premiums.I can’t remember ever being asked for residence status.