Change in South Australia state sponsorship list

JCM

Question

Good day

A week after submitting my EOI on high points for SA, they have closed my occupation for high points nomination. Does anyone know if this change would them also affect my application or will my EOI be safe as I applied before the amendment? Thanks for everyones help.

9 answers to this question

As far as I know, any change in the rules will affect you if you haven't received an invitation to apply yet.

Thanks ChrisH, info I got is that EOI submitted before the change will be honored?? Maybe I'm just optimistic?

The reason I say this is that they changed the minimum points for my occupation to 65 the week after I submitted my initial EOI with 60 points.  It is only once you get an invitation to apply that the EOI criteria wouldn't affect you anymore.

@TeeTMI can you confirm this?

• Like 1

JCM - welcome to the forum

There is a difference between submitting an EOI and a state inviting you to submit an application for state sponsorship. 

The process varies a little by state/territory - however, speaking very generally, when an occupation is removed from the states list they would no longer invite people from the EOI pool. 

Usually those people who have already been invited by the state to request sponsorship will be followed through, although this also is not always the case I have had a couple of cases where I have received an email saying we are removing this occupation and that to continue the application must be in by the close of the day or midnight (and have had to wake people up in RSA to get things submitted in time!).

So sorry JCM I suspect that it is unlikely that SA will invite you to apply for state sponsorship if your occupation has been removed and you had not been invited prior to that time.  Although the states/territories do make their own decisions to suit their needs and are tied by legislation in the same manner as the Dept of Home Affairs. 

Thank you @TeeTMI

Really not good news...

The technical part I hope for is that the occupation has not been removed but simply a "not available for high points with a date 30/07/2018 put behind the occupation" on the list. The occupation has only reopend on 5/7/2018 which makes it nearly impossible for anyone to have had an invite before the "close". An argument I've heard is that the pool has enough applications for consideration but will/should be processed. 

As per my argument above, some high points "close date" for some other occupations has been applied 12 days after 5/07/2018. How will any of us then ever make the cut if they take 6 weeks (or as per their own website 15-20 weeks) to invite you but "close" in 1-3 weeks??

Please give me some hope!!

Edited by JCM

The 15-20 weeks processing time relates to the period following an invitation from and submission to the state. 

Please give me some comfort....

So you still think I should have had an invite in the 3 weeks before the "close" date or I'm out??

@SD_MOA do you have the same view?

Hello JCM,

If you submitted your state sponsorship application (not just an EOI with South Australia as the nominated state)  before your occupation was removed from the High Points list then South Australia will asses it - this does not mean it will be successful though.

Here is an extract from their site:

Planning levels (quotas) exist for each occupation listed. Planning levels are calculated at the time the application for state nomination is submitted. This means that if an occupation is currently ‘available’ for nomination when you submit your application, it will be assessed under the ‘available’ requirements.

I hope this helps.

Regards