Pearson's vs IELTS

Roxanne

Question

Hi everyone, 

I'm sure this has been debated already, but I'm new to this forum (and the process of relocating), so bear with me... 

I've looked at both the Pearson's and IELTS English tests, and there's pros and cons to both. I was, however, just curious about others' experiences with both. 

What has been your experience? Is one "better" than the other, or preferred? 

7 answers to this question

Hi @Roxanne  also check with your assessing authority who is assessing your qualifications, for which test is mandatory.  For example, teachers have to have their qualifications assessed by AITSL and the IELTS Academic test is the only test they will consider.  

All the best.

My wife and I wrote IELTS Academic and scored 8+ for all parts so enough for 20 points.

I did almost zero preparation for it. She did some prep like 4 or 5 mock tests. The main tricky part for me was the writing as you need to follow a specific format which you should check on before the day of the test.

My friend did Pearson's  and he got 80+ so also enough for 20 points and he says it was easy.

Not a very helpful post I know, but really both are fine as long as you prepare I guess. The general consensus however is that Pearsons is easier but I wouldn't be able to comment on pearsons.

32 minutes ago, Piet1234 said:

My wife and I wrote IELTS Academic and scored 8+ for all parts so enough for 20 points.

I did almost zero preparation for it. She did some prep like 4 or 5 mock tests. The main tricky part for me was the writing as you need to follow a specific format which you should check on before the day of the test.

My friend did Pearson's  and he got 80+ so also enough for 20 points and he says it was easy.

Not a very helpful post I know, but really both are fine as long as you prepare I guess. The general consensus however is that Pearsons is easier but I wouldn't be able to comment on pearsons.

Hi Piet, 
Thanks so much for the response. 
I think you're absolutely right - preparation is key (especially since it has been a while since I've written any sort of exam!). Thanks for your feedback.

19 hours ago, March2 said:

Hi @Roxanne  also check with your assessing authority who is assessing your qualifications, for which test is mandatory.  For example, teachers have to have their qualifications assessed by AITSL and the IELTS Academic test is the only test they will consider.  

All the best.

Great point! Thanks, will do! 

Hi @Roxanne  I vaguely remember someone comparing the two exams and saying that if you struggle with writing, Pearson's is a better choice and if you have trouble with speaking you should sit IELTS.   I know that there are people on the forum who have taken both... hopefully someone could advise you

13 minutes ago, Justyna said:

Hi @Roxanne  I vaguely remember someone comparing the two exams and saying that if you struggle with writing, Pearson's is a better choice and if you have trouble with speaking you should sit IELTS.   I know that there are people on the forum who have taken both... hopefully someone could advise you

Super, thanks so much. 

Hi @Roxanne

My husband did both tests. He only qualified with 10 points on Ielts and then did Pearsons and got 20 points. He says that Pearsons wasn't easier , just different. 

Looking back we do wish that he had done Pearsons first though. The booking, writing and getting results back with Pearsons was WAY faster than with Ielts. (have a look at my timeline on my profile)

Also something to consider...IELTS is all written "tradtitional" testing.

Pearsons is all computerized. 

Choose which one you are more comfortable with. 

But that's just my two cents!😀

• Like 1