Recruitment agencies - how to get a job!

Sabrin

My husband is an ex-Distell depot manager (think Savanna, Nederburg wines, Amarula). He has run a 3700m2 $13 000 000 branch for 15 yrs. Which agencies are worth connecting with? We've applied to Adecco (keen to chat to him) and random others but they really are that - random. Are there any big guys eg Quest, MPC like in SA? I did see Quest and we will try them. We land in Sydney 6 August. Any advice?

Bear in mind, it's still fairly new search for him but any advice is much appreciated.

My advice is to hit up companies directly.  In South Africa we were used to sending a CV to a recruiter and sitting back sipping cocktails until the calls came in, at least in IT it was like that.

Here you have to put in the work to get an interview.  One of the most important things would be to ensure his LinkedIn profile is current and complete.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I favour going the recruitment company route and LinkedIn, but you have to find the right recruitment companies for the industries he can apply for.

At the same time it helps to phone the contact number provided on some job specs posted on Seek.com.au. More than once that I struck up a relationship with the recruitment agent over a few calls and an interview. They eventually sent me for roles that never went public - one of which I won.

It's just really important also to get your CV formatted correctly and do carefully worded covering letters that specifically and tightly address the job specs.

I finally got this right on a LinkedIn job spec, executed the interview right and am now in my current role.

It however did admittedly also help to have my one year Australian work experience under me belt. The point then is to not necessarily take that first job as your end goal but rather a stepping stone.

First up... I hope you husband wasn't involved in killing off "angel's share" from the product lin up ;)

You have to sort of expect that as a foreigner you become a logistics manager with 20 years experience. Not "the guy who ran the depo storing Paul's 12 year old Van Ryns".

I will regret saying this, but as a manager I see a lot of candidates who had a really good job overseas, but there are maybe 20 similar positions in all of Australia. Odds of them getting one of those rare jobs when they first arrives is slim.

So, mostly it's a case of taking the first decent job that comes along. Sure going two steps back wrecks your career for a while. But if your husband is good, he will work his way back up.

I had to do the same thing. And it's taken 5 years to get my career back on track. But in the end it's worth it to be in Australia.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Some really great advice here. Almost noting to add.

Research and go to companies directly. 

Make sure Linkedin is good and strong with a profile that also has some endorsements.

Agencies will not always act in your interests.

A step back is not a bad idea... It really helps put things in perspective and gives a strong base to work from.

Stay humble, Aussies hate hearing,"this is the way we did it back when..." they love hearing,"Hey guys what do you think if we try this?"