Taking my cat over...

Gecko

Question

Hi all

Im a little confused with regards to taking my cat with us and I hope someone that has been through the process can assist me?

I got quotes already from 3 pet travel agencies and while I think I understand the process what Im not sure about is the "State Vet" authorisation. As far as my understanding goes, the state Vet is in PTA, so how will he/she/they sign off my cats blood tests and documentation etc? (Im in Cape Town). I still need to chat to my vet about all of this to see if they know the process and how it will work, but thought it might help if I can hear from some of you that have been through it for some insight?

Any info will be a great help! Thank you!

10 answers to this question

Hi Gecko

We also have plans on taking our two dogs with when the time comes and therefore asked our Vet regarding this.  I think the result of the tests goes to your Vet who then liases with the PTA office, or they send the results through to the PTA office.  

1 minute ago, TracyK said:

Hi Gecko

We also have plans on taking our two dogs with when the time comes and therefore asked our Vet regarding this.  I think the result of the tests goes to your Vet who then liases with the PTA office, or they send the results through to the PTA office.  

Thank you, yes.. that would make sense, I just hope that its this case :S 

1 minute ago, TracyK said:

One of the companies come highly rated is Keringa, I plan on contacting them first:

http://keringa.co.za/

If I remember correctly, the only problem I have with them personally is because they are located in JHB, they wanted to keep my cat in their cattery/kennels for the last 30 days before departure.  Which logically makes sense so that they can do all the final blood tests and sign offs etc.. but that would mean flying her to JHB (added cost), 30 days there (added cost), then the flight to Aus, then the 10 days quarantine in Aus.. its just too much, I would rather keep my cat the last 30 days if I can and have the option to, less stress for her and less for me lol.

If they had a branch in CT, I might have considered it so that I can at least go visit my cat during those 30 days.

Oh yes....I haven't even asked those questions yet but that too would definitely not make sense to me, besides the cost, the trauma on the pet, yikes!

I will ask on my doggie forums for people who have used places from Cape Town so we get some feedback on some of those!

23 minutes ago, TracyK said:

Oh yes....I haven't even asked those questions yet but that too would definitely not make sense to me, besides the cost, the trauma on the pet, yikes!

I will ask on my doggie forums for people who have used places from Cape Town so we get some feedback on some of those!

Awesome! Please keep me posted if anything about cats come up too, thanks!

1 hour ago, Gecko said:

Hi all

Im a little confused with regards to taking my cat with us and I hope someone that has been through the process can assist me?

I got quotes already from 3 pet travel agencies and while I think I understand the process what Im not sure about is the "State Vet" authorisation. As far as my understanding goes, the state Vet is in PTA, so how will he/she/they sign off my cats blood tests and documentation etc? (Im in Cape Town). I still need to chat to my vet about all of this to see if they know the process and how it will work, but thought it might help if I can hear from some of you that have been through it for some insight?

Any info will be a great help! Thank you!

Hi there, we are currently going through the process with our dog and cat.

Your vet sends the blood tests to Pta Onderstepoort, and the state vet signs off on the results.

We are using Petport and really happy with their services. 

Our fur-babies only need to check in at Petport one week before departure, to get them crate trained for the flight.

Good luck with the process!!

Thank You Sunet!  That confirms the Vet portion and both you and I have the same story so this should be the process.

I will look into Petport.  How long after you arrive will the pets be arriving (more or less)?

On 7/19/2018 at 1:22 PM, TracyK said:

Thank You Sunet!  That confirms the Vet portion and both you and I have the same story so this should be the process.

I will look into Petport.  How long after you arrive will the pets be arriving (more or less)?

If all goes to plan then our pets will arrive 3 weeks after us, which includes their quarantine period.

I missed the plot somewhere along the lines.. because of the 180 days waiting period, our cat will only be able to fly over in Feb, so she will have to stay with my folks for 2 months once we go over. Its probably a blessing in disguise as now we have the time to settle in before she gets there.. one less thing to worry about in the early days I guess :(