Dix

Found this forum yesterday and read a couple of posts.

Some really made me feel better as others were 'suffering' the same, and others I felt I could really answer in a good way. Perhaps

My story is: I was at the top of the game as a consulting engineer in a specialized field. Life was comfortable with a good income, lots of stuff collected over the years, nice house, cars blah blah blah. I just felt that I was being treated as a undesirable in my own land. 

My stuff was constantly getting stolen, I was concerned about the circus running the country, I didn't want to give away half my company in order to progress. I thought at my considerable age I was stuck forever.

So when the opportunity arose I decided to take it on after many sleepless nights, stomach in a knot for days. It was a huge decision and with the families support found endless reasons to justify it.

To be continued....

• Like 1

Heya,

I see from your details you landed 6 ish months ago, getting used to this new country takes time,

I hear you, things are really different here, if you were doing really well in RSA it can be a step back, but with that said there is a lot that is a heck of a lot better, and to be honest, there is no future in RSA.

With that said, in the last 6.5 years have gone from employed at a desk job in Melbourne, to living out of a caravan for 2 years while we traveled the east coast working as a contract trainer (I have now lived in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney & Brisbane), to business owner with 14 staff and offices here in Sydney (And we have had 2 kids to add to the fun).

Moral of the story is that there are opportunities here that you wont find in RSA, your skillset is less rare as lots of people have the capability to go to university but you can still make a success of yourself as you are not tied back by BBBEE when starting a business, and you dont need to feel guilty about being successful, it is hard to get started, but it can be done, and it is worth it, i could go on with what is great here, but you will find that everywhere, this is more to say that most people go through a hard adjustment stage, but you need to soldier on and get through the first few years to get used to it here.

You made the right call, it is just hard getting used to the changed situation and the new normal, but it is worth it, once you have been here for a few years and you look at RSA in pics or have a visit it will open your eyes, some people dont manage to get used to it, or stay for long enough, and go back, but i wouldn't give up my safety, future and future of my kids for some romantic notion of a stuffed country (Bit harsh but that's how i personally feel)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nev said:

in the last 6.5 years have gone from employed at a desk job in Melbourne, to living out of a caravan for 2 years while we traveled the east coast working as a contract trainer (I have now lived in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney & Brisbane), to business owner with 14 staff and offices here in Sydney (And we have had 2 kids to add to the fun).

Go you! Your own business employing staff. A migrant success story to add to the list. Well done 🏆

• Like 2

So the "to be continued" in the first post is not going to expand much after reading others experiences.

Ours is so much the same, except i think we are very fortunate compared to many others. Relocation was paid & initial 30 days. All the stuff we bought here, kettles, toasters, matresses, fridge etc. costs are recovered already. When I stopped smoking after 35 years I found the quitters forums and stories really helped, and it has been the same here.

W've had all the same doubts, depressions and frustrations, especially my wife whose teaching certs count for nothing and she can't continue with her passion. So she's going back to school at 56 - lol, its like one of those movies :) (hope she doesn't pick up a 20yr old boyfriend)

• 4 weeks later...