Of beds and stuff...

Sabrin

In 2 minds - do we ship and wait or replace? 

We've been quoted R40k to ship with Pickfords:

1xqueen bed and base

1xsgl bed and base

1xbookshelf

1xtable and benches

1x42" TV

10 moving boxes with sentimental stuff, loose bits of kitchen stuff and blankets

Groupage means we wait 3 mths but you'll need almost all this stuff immediately anyway so surely better to just ship the boxes and buy furniture new? Only concern: can you get 2 beds, kettle, fridge, pots and pans, washing machine for about $3500 on that end? Beds seem bloody expensive!!

Is there a better alt to groupage with eg Pickfords?

We went with groupage (Elliot Mobility) and ended up shipping our beds (double and single beds) too... 3 months ahead of time, but unfortunately Adelaide is not very popular for groupage shipping so our container is still waiting for us in South Africa.

Sydney should be more popular for groupage so 3 months waiting time could be realistic for you but yes, depending on when you actually pack your container and when your arrive in Oz, you will need to buy some of these as soon as you get a rental.

We're now looking at buying  beds, bed linen, a kettle, toaster, cutlery, plates and probably a small fridge... luckily I took my te-fal pan with me in our suitcase (so one less thing to buy). Will maybe just buy one pot or a pressure cooker and use that until our stuff arrives. Probably going to use a laundromat weekly for our clothes.

Groupage they tell you, 3 months you'll wait they tell you. 12 months later you're on the phone (from Whoop Whoop because that's where you found work) having an argy bargy with the sales rep because your garb still hasn't arrived and all this in the name of groupage sales because they want (sorry need) to make targets and fill the LCL containers. Pickforfds this side do not have a very good reputation anyway and they don't give a rats about your stuff either.

Beds can be expensive yes, if you buy them brand new but, you can also pickup great bargains in mid-year and EOFY (pronounced Ee-O-Fee) sales. Electronic goods like TV's I would not even bother bringing over as there is a good chance they may not work on the digital system here in Aus (not all digital satellites were born equal apparently) and they are cheap as chips and much better qulity anyway. FB buy, swap and sell local community groups here are big and Gumtree and eBay actually work (a culture shock for our Saffa systems but fair dinkum and an absolutely ripper once you get into it). As for household goods, unless it's sentimental in nature, dump it, sell it, give it to your family and friends (as a souvenir) or soneone in need in RSA (it's part of the culture in Aus and we love it).

A little known secret amongst the Saffa's here in Aus is that you can replace 99.9% of your average household tackel (including electrical appliances) from Opp Shops, AKA second hand shops, (ooh a dirty word for Saffa's but let me tell you, Aussies have way too much disposable income/credit ($33 billion creidt card debt this financial year which is apparently the lowest it's ever been) and like to replace things in there homes almost on a 6 monthly basis) which means you can pickup some really swanky, dear furniture (think Nick Skalli, Italian leather lounges and other really expensive furniture) for next to nothing and support your local charity at the same time (another Aussie fav).

In short, unless it's sentimental don't waste your hard earned moolah because the "Rant" converts poorly to the AUD and you are going to need every last piece of shrapnel before you bank that first Aussie pay check.

For the sentimental stuff, have a captain cook at using something called a MoveCube. They come in different sizes, boxes and packing material can be supplied at an extra cost. They deliver, you pack, they collect and ship, it takes an average of 12 weeks (no waiting for groupage to group), it arrives and you unpack. No grubby, sticky fingers get access to your goodies and there's a good chance ALL your tackle will arrive including the silverware and Maxwell Williams, $100.00 salad serving spoons you were given as a going away pressie.

If we had to do this all over again, we would have only used a 6ft container (had a few big ticket, sentimental hand me down items) and saved a whole wack of dough in the process.

(MoveCube - click me)

P.S. I used to work at an Opp Shop and furnished a newly arived Saffa's entire house (with absolutely all the necessities including washing machine, tumble dryer, beds, linen, kitchen appliances - including a microwave and fridge - and a whole lot more for under $2000.00). You just have to shop smart and get to know the best local haunts.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Juju! Gumtree is my best friend. It is a lot cheaper to pick up a wooden frame and slats here, and then spend a bit more on a mattress. Even 2nd hand. You then go to Kmart or Target and buy a foam mattess topper for about $70 which is brand new, and voila. I believe you should have no problem getting a great Queen bed for under $300. If you’re squeamish about 2nd hand you can expect to pay at least double to 3x that. Ikea beds are very comfy if you buy the matress topper too. 

Long story short- frame is cheaper than base and mattress.

It’s better to pick up stuff in Aus than drag stuff all the way here. Movecube is great for sentimental stuff, etc. Pack it ro the rafters. Even your Christmas wrapping paper and sticky tape comes in handy afterwards...big stuff, not so much!

Also we Safricans worry way too much about linen sizes. If you buy an Ikea matress, grab a fitted sheet from Ikea because it’s a few cm different. It costs about $20. 

Edited by Bonny

What @FingersCrossed posted. Sure I added a link in my post. Oh well got it now. I would also consider leaving all your cutlery, crockery, pots and pans behind as well. Only keep the sentimental stuff. Tucker Tools are as cheap as chips at Kmart, Target, BigW. You will also find a lot of this stuff at the previously mentioned opp shops.

16 hours ago, HadEnoughofJuju said:

What @FingersCrossed posted. Sure I added a link in my post. Oh well got it now. I would also consider leaving all your cutlery, crockery, pots and pans behind as well. Only keep the sentimental stuff. Tucker Tools are as cheap as chips at Kmart, Target, BigW. You will also find a lot of this stuff at the previously mentioned opp shops.

It depends on quality for me. I would bring all the good, small stuff if I had space. 

We’re still using our Jamie Oliver pots and pans from SA Woollies we bought specifically to bring with us 12 years ago.

Far and away better quality than any Target or Kmart stuff. 

We stocked up on some nicer stuff in ZAR back in the day and it’s been worth it. 

Edited by Bonny

5 hours ago, Bonny said:

It depends on quality for me

Exactly that!  If you don't have particularly good quality stuff in South Africa then don't bring it, you could replace it for even cheaper here.

In our case, we saved up for every furniture purchase in South Africa so most of our furniture was our "lifetime" furniture so we brought it over.

Hey, if I'd bought Jamie Oliver pots, I'd be bringing them too if I had space. Jettison only the cheap stuff. Having said that, I saw a set of 3 very, very dear (as in $300.00 per - not very large pot - dear) cast iron, enameled, French pots for a pineapple for the set at an opp shop. I was just not quick enough to beat the 6 other people having an argy bargy over who was going to get the set.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Haha 1