Skorsies

Janneman

Ons het 'n gesukkel hier in die VSA, in die Noord-weste, altans. Hier is nie skorsies (gem squash) te kry nie. Nie eens amper nie. En as jy die plaaslike inwoners uitvra, selfs op die omliggende plase, dan kry hulle so 'n veraf uitdrukking in die oë en wil dadelik weet wáár jy nou eintlik vandaan kom.

Is dit in Australië ook 'n onbekende groente?

Die woord pumpkin sal jy ook nie hier aantref nie - nie in Oregon nie. Dis almal squash. Tot die Halloween-pampoene, oftewel, Jack'o'lanterns, heet squash. O ja, dié oranje pampoen word glad nie geëet nie. Hulle verkoop dermiljoene van die goed, sny allerhande patrone en bangmaak-gesigte daarin en verlig die binnekant met 'n kersie op Halloween-aand. BOO!! 'n Dag of wat later gooi hulle dit weg.

So, ons kry butternut, Hubbard squash (in stukke gesny), spaghetti squash (binnekant lyk soos spaghetti-stringe), acorn squash (table queen in SA), 'n ander ronderige en blougroenerige enetjie, wat dalkies familie van die Hubbard kan wees en as Sweet Mama bekendstaan en zucchini. Laasgenoemde is langwerpig of koeëlrond. Die rondes lyk net soos skorsies, maar helaas... :ilikeit:

Janneman

I’m not an expert when it gets to pumpkins. In Oz we get yellow pumpkin or “boerepampoen” as my dad calls it, Japanese pumpkin smaller has a greenish striped skin, butternut, zucchini and those small round little pumpkins that have a green skin and are yellow on the inside. I can’t remember their name. My Ouma use to cut them in half remove the seeds and steam them in her pressure cooker. You can usually only buy them at the at Stanley’s butchers in St Ives in Sydney. Have you thought of possibly seeing if you could legally import some seeds into the USA. :ilikeit:

My brother-in-law, who happens to stay a few miles away from us, visited SA last year. A packet of seeds "happened to find its way" into one of his suitcases - and we all enjoyed the fruits produced by this stowaway. ;)

I just find it strange that such a popular veggie in SA is (seemingly) unheard of in the USA, and I only wondered if that was the case in Aus. as well.

(I will try to get some seeds imported - legally :ilikeit: )

Out here in Mackay we do not have ''skorsies'' and how I miss them.Remember my friend in NZ saying that one day she was extremely homesick and cried cause there was no gem squash .Needless to say we alL had a good laugh :ilikeit:;):ilikeit:

Edited by serileen

I had to laugh when I say this topic..... just this morning my hubby and myself were talking about "scorsies" and I was planning on asking about it. :ilikeit:

Seems we all got the scorsie craving on the same day.

here in Perth we struggle to find it as well....even though I did get it once at a little veggie shop in Dianella. We have been quite busy the past few days but I want to go back and see if they have again.

According to them it is too expensive and because of that demand is not very high for it.

Hulle weet net nie wat lekker is nie!! :ilikeit:

I need to find some soon on a regular basis cause there is nothing nicer than potatoes and scorsie cooked up and mashed for babies.....seeing as mine will be here soon, I need to find some. :ilikeit: My other kids love it too.

If I find some in Perth can I mail some to anybody in OZ ;) ?

I found this link for GEM SQUASH seedshttp://www.satooz.com/category36_1.htm

You can also buy Gem Squash from Stanley St Meat Markets

..Btchrs 15 Stanley St St Ives 2075 (02) 9449 9242 I think I bought some over Christmas. They very popular so they sell out pretty rapidly.

Edited by sonnetjie

Slightly off-topic, but another product that is not in big demand over here, is lamb. Kan jy glo? Baie Yanks sê die vleis is gamey!! :o

I can only assume that lamb, in all its shapes and forms, can be found in abundance in Oz. :) We get some of that as well: Lamb, imported from Australia, certified, adhering to and all the rest of it...

Skaaptjoppies... :blink: Klein, maar geweldig dik gesny, teen 'n prys wat skrik vir niks nie :( It's on offer at $12 a pound, which equates to $16.40 AUD, or roughly $36 AUD per kilo. :blink:

Ek hou my by die boude en skenkels... <_<

I was lucky to find some skorsies to cook for lunch on Christmas day and I was stupid enough to throw the seed away! After 2 years I ate them again and it was well worth the price ($15 for 6). We have a shop in Dural (African Delights) where you can find most of your favourites and they were selling them.

But there is light in the tunnel... You can order the seed from www.satooz.com.au - a South African Shop online and they will deliver right to your doorstep.

Other thing I also miss is the big tablequeens we got in South Africa. Next best thing to a skorsie...

Madelein

Hi Janneman

Just a note that may be of interest to you. We lived in New Mexico and I found that the lamb we got there was not edible. When we arrived in Australia and I mentioned this to a butcher friend, he told me that most of the sheep in the USA are grain fed, not grass like in Australia and for that reason it completely changes the taste of the meat. Well I am not surprised then that they do not eat it in the USA, because the lamb that I got hold of in NM was mutton, and never mind what I did to it in the cooking process, it still tasted like nothing.

I wish I had been able to get hold of Australian lamb when I was there. The price for you does seem pretty steep. Here you would pay around $12 per kg for chops and for a leg of lamb you would pay around $6,50 per kg.

Edited by Mara

I bought Gem Squash from African Delights and saved the seeds, but don't know when/how to plant them! Anyone knows how?

According to SATOOZ: Best planted in Spring, Summer or early Autumn. Full sun or some afternoon shade.

Riekie, ek hoop jou pitte het behoorlik ryp geraak. Nee, nie joune nie, die skorsie s'n... <_< Gewoonlik het my pa die skorsies, wat hy vir saaddoeleindes wou uithou, aan die rank laat sit totdat hulle oranje en kliphard was. Die binnegoed verdroog heeltemal en dáárdie pitte het hy dan weer geplant. Miskien moet jy maar 'n pakkie by julle "on-line" winkel bestel. :blink:

On my way to the doc today I stopped over at Stanley St Meat Markets in St Ives. When I walked into the shop they were just unpacking 3 apple boxes full of gem squash. The shop assistant said they sell like sweet cakes. So if you live in Sydney and you in the neighbourhood I suggest you pop in. I bought 4 for dinner tonight. The Gem Squash looked really fresh. <_<

I believe this online company www.african.com.au also has gems in stock from time to time as well as other South African products :( In fact I will be sampling some of their biltong and a cold Windhoek lager this afternoon at a Saffer braai here in Adelaide. ;)