Landed! Parent support group.

Elna57

You’re a star @stefans  thanks a bucket, though I’m based in Melbourne. What search criteria have you used?  I’m registered on a number of Job platforms (indeed included) which tend to match jobs aligned with my CV. I’m guessing top level jobs are no longer an option and have applied for more realistically attainable positions, to no avail (incl casual, temping, part time)

thanks again. Have a great weekend

• Like 1

@Onthemove

No worries, sorry thought you were in Brisbane. I am also searching for anything as a start and then to do a local course to build contacts.

@stefans   Non Problem. Good luck going forward 🍀

• Like 1

Good morning good people.

@Onthemove Hey buddy. Nice to see you again. 

@stefans Thank you for all the links and info. It certainly helps. Where about are you?

Any folks in Brisbane? It would be nice to get together and have a good social.

Oh my, I was considering Uber as well but after reading that blog, it doesnt seem profitable. Still, so many people do it?

All mothers out there, hope you are getting spoilt rotten! Have a blessed day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks. 

So, I have news!. I found a job as an embroidery machine operator, night shift. It suits me well because I have always been a night owl. 

I enjoy the work although I am a bit rusty and hopefully I will be able to pick up the pace and work as fast and efficient as the other ladies.

Thank you @stefans for the links and information. My husband still needs a job. 

How is it going with you? Found anything yet?

• Like 3

@Elna57 That is fantastic news Elna I hope you won't be too tired to pop in here periodically to give us news and check up on any newbies who can officially chat in here (aka me) once they have landed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Maz Oh yes! I absolutely love it and we do not work weekends so it is great to catch up on weekends.

Thank you for asking.

@Elza Anything new with you?

10 hours ago, Elna57 said:

@Maz Oh yes! I absolutely love it and we do not work weekends so it is great to catch up on weekends.

Thank you for asking.

@Elza Anything new with you?

I’m so happy to hear you’ve had success Elna, well done. It sounds interesting too! 

• Like 1

Can I ask if any of you are aware for NSW on 143 visa when you went to get your drivers license did you have to do a driving test / verbal test or did you just hand in your SA license and got it converted?

• 3 weeks later...

@Maz I have no idea about NSW but it should not be too much of a problem if you do have to redo. Most rules of the road are the same and in my opinion, if one can drive in South Africa and survive, one can drive anywhere in the world. 😁 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my visa! :) Will be an official member of this thread on the 12th September!

Edited by Maz

@Maz

Fantastic! Congrats!

Where are you heading?

Hope Brisbane. I need a buddy. 😁

@Elna57 Thank you whew its taken 45 months!!!

Sorry but heading to Sydney but Brisbane will be on the cards for a visit as I have some friends from SA there. Will definately see if we can make a plan! and also if you ever head South we must meet up.

@Maz

Dammit! No buddy in Brisbane. (Yet)

I have good news to share. 

Another lady who came over as a parent, has found permanent work already.

We can still kick butt at our age. 😁

• Haha 1

@bonnie

Thank you so much.

It is hard work but seeing the lovely artwork and the different fabrics and just appreciating colours and designs make it all so much easier.

Makes me wonder sometimes. How often in life do we get caught up in work and forget to appreciate the talent, the wonder of sight and all the good things? How often do we stop to admire beauty and skills behind what we do?