To Sydney and back, a "pioneer's" tale

CharlesH

just a little back story. I am in Sydney for 3 weeks to attend job interviews, do all the bank account, driver's licence, medicare, and find a rental, schools, etc.  I then return to SA for a month and then my wife, two kids and I return on our one way ticket.

I arrived in a very cold and windy Sydney yesterday from Johannesburg at about 4 pm, about an hour later than scheduled. I flew Qantas and it was great. Customs and immigration was really fast and efficient.  I had my checked luggage about 4:45.  I went to the Opal kiosk at the airport station and purchased a card (the oldish Australian guy told me to remember to tap on and off everytime!).  i also bought a prepaid SIM at one of the shops. All I had to provide was my passport.  I originally intended taking the train to the AirBnB I am staying at in Ermington but it was late and cold so I opted for an Uber.  The vehicle arrived within 5 minutes and a really nice Australian in a new Subaru Outback greeted me.  We had a really nice chat during the hour it took us to get to Ermington.  The driver is a ski instructor (and ex-accountant) and drives for Uber in the off season.  We chatted about SA and its problems and Oz and its problems (it has nothing on SA, first world problems!).

I arrived at the AirBnB after dark and was greeted by Esther and her two cats.  She showed me to my room and I unpacked and settled in.  Esther is an ex-South African, having moved to Sydney in '92.  We had a really nice chat and I was given loads of advice regarding transport, suburbs, shopping etc.

I don't sleep very well on airplanes so I was pretty bushed. At about 9 pm, Sydney time, I fell asleep and woke up this morning, just before 7 am.  No jet lag.    I went for a jog around the neighbourhood and got a look at Sydney in the daytime for the first time.  The first thing that struck me was that I could be in SA, except for the well-maintained roads, high walls, feeling of safety and lack of litter.  It really does not look or feel very foreign.  Just a little.  I have been to Cancun, London and Los Angeles and they sure looked and felt foreign.

I jogged through a park and was very impressed with how neat and tidy it all is.  In my suburb in SA the local park looks like a dump.

After a breakfast of what looked like Weetbix, I caught a bus to West Ryde to do some chores.  The bus stop is 5 minute's walk from where I am staying.  The bus arrived on time (this is not a major route and is off peak) and I tapped on as I climbed on board (very important to tap on as per the old guy at the Opal kiosk!) .  Once again I am impressed by how clean the bus is.  I got off at West Ryde station and guess what? I tapped off but before getting off. Oh and the station is clean!  I have not been near our local station in years. I avoid it like the plague.

I crossed the road to the shopping center and saw the Westpac branch I was looking for as I entered the center.  After a very quick, easy, efficient and friendly verification (just needed my passport and one other form of photo ID, my SA driver's licence) I left the bank with account statement in hand.  I walked through Woolworth's (looks almost like Woolies in SA) but decided, as this is a reconnaissance trip, to go to Coles.  I bought a few things (I realised that I had forgotten to draw cash at the bank because the consultant and I had had such a nice chat about Sa, Oz and immigrating) so I had to watch how much I had in my trolley.  In true pioneer spirit I bought a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, two minute noodles, a few cans of tuna, a can of baked beans, some coffee and sugar.

I went back to the bank and drew some cash.  After a short bus ride (I tapped on and off!) I was back at the AirBnB.  Since half the day had now passed by,  I made a peanut butter sandwich and had some online admin and tasks to do.

That took me 'til supper time and after a noodle and tuna meal I sat down to write this and message my family back in SA.

Edited by CharlesH
  • Like 3

Cool, Ermington to West Ryde, you’re getting around slowly. There is a great Bunnings near you which will be a revelation. On your jog try and get down to the river. It’s been done up really nicely.

15 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

There is a great Bunnings near you which will be a revelation

Whilst you're there might as well do the Aussie right of passage..... having your first sausage sizzle (the $1 sausage on a flat piece of bread with onion)

19 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

There is a great Bunnings near you which will be a revelation.

Bunnings 😍😍😍 if anyone reading this is in doubt about emigrating, Bunnings is worth it. 

3 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Whilst you're there might as well do the Aussie right of passage..... having your first sausage sizzle (the $1 sausage on a flat piece of bread with onion)

We saw these but weren't swayed (the queue was hella long though)...ended up buying boerewors at a market and making our own. Next time I'll have to give it a shot...

21 hours ago, CharlesH said:

The bus arrived on time (this is not a major route and is off peak)

People here in Melbourne complain about the public transport all the time. We're still amazed that the bus arrives, and that it's clean too!

Welcome, and good luck with the interviews.

16 hours ago, iambrettstar said:

Bunnings 😍😍😍 if anyone reading this is in doubt about emigrating, Bunnings is worth it. 

We saw these but weren't swayed (the queue was hella long though)...ended up buying boerewors at a market and making our own. Next time I'll have to give it a shot...

People here in Melbourne complain about the public transport all the time. We're still amazed that the bus arrives, and that it's clean too!

Welcome, and good luck with the interviews.

Will do Bunnings.  

The Uber driver also complained about the public transport.  I just kept quiet...first world problems!

On 6/18/2018 at 6:59 PM, CharlesH said:

I bought a few things (I realised that I had forgotten to draw cash at the bank because the consultant and I had had such a nice chat about Sa, Oz and immigrating) so I had to watch how much I had in my trolley.  In true pioneer spirit I bought a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, two minute noodles, a few cans of tuna, a can of baked beans, some coffee and sugar.

I went back to the bank and drew some cash.  After a short bus ride (I tapped on and off!) I was back at the AirBnB.  Since half the day had now passed by,  I made a peanut butter sandwich and had some online admin and tasks to do.

That took me 'til supper time and after a noodle and tuna meal I sat down to write this and message my family back in SA.

:D :lol: 
We do exactly the same re peanutbutter, 2min noodles and tuna!!! Every time we travel!

Do you know that most tills offer "cash-out"? Perhaps only available after you have your bank card? But super useful.

Welcome Down Under! Best luck to you and your family ;) 

6 hours ago, RedPanda said:

:D :lol: 
We do exactly the same re peanutbutter, 2min noodles and tuna!!! Every time we travel!

Do you know that most tills offer "cash-out"? Perhaps only available after you have your bank card? But super useful.

Welcome Down Under! Best luck to you and your family ;) 

I did see the self-checkouts.  I will only have my bank cards probably Monday or Tuesday so will try them then. 

Well, the self-checkouts will probably also offer cash out, but even if you go to a manned till, the person should ask you "any cash out?" If you know what you're looking for it's easy ;) 
We still enjoy the self-checkouts, two years and counting, it's still fun :D 

Another thing to do near Ermington, get down to a ferry wharf in the river. Catch a ferry into the city. It’s a treat.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, SimpleSimon said:

Another thing to do near Ermington, get down to a ferry wharf in the river. Catch a ferry into the city. It’s a treat.

Thank for that suggestion.   I'm going to do that on Sunday!

@CharlesH what they are talking about here is getting actual cash at the Coles or Woolworths till.

While you are paying for your groceries, you ask the person for ‘Cash out’ and they will add it to your bill and give you the money, like an ATM. So if your groceries are $25 and you ask for $50 Cash out, the till slip prints for $75 and the check out person hands you $50. They might ask you if you want small notes, or whatever.

Saves you going to a separate ATM, and it’s free. 

However it doesn’t work with your SA bank card. Also do not choose ‘Credit’ on the card machine, choose ‘Cheque’ or ‘Savings’ The machines can’t differentiate, and you’re not allowed to get cash out of a credit card. So if you accidentally choose ‘Credit’ it declines the sale 😊

Incidentally BOQ machines are free to draw from your SA bank accounts (but scarce), ANZ cost $2, other banks machines cost $3 and Reditellers are the worst...over $4.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 4:26 PM, Bonny said:

@CharlesH what they are talking about here is getting actual cash at the Coles or Woolworths till.

While you are paying for your groceries, you ask the person for ‘Cash out’ and they will add it to your bill and give you the money, like an ATM. So if your groceries are $25 and you ask for $50 Cash out, the till slip prints for $75 and the check out person hands you $50. They might ask you if you want small notes, or whatever.

Saves you going to a separate ATM, and it’s free. 

However it doesn’t work with your SA bank card. Also do not choose ‘Credit’ on the card machine, choose ‘Cheque’ or ‘Savings’ The machines can’t differentiate, and you’re not allowed to get cash out of a credit card. So if you accidentally choose ‘Credit’ it declines the sale 😊

Incidentally BOQ machines are free to draw from your SA bank accounts (but scarce), ANZ cost $2, other banks machines cost $3 and Reditellers are the worst...over $4.

Oh yes I see.  I did that at Aldi a few days back. I already have my Westpac bank card.

So, I have been here for almost two weeks and I am loving it. Sydney is everything I hoped for and more.  I have not really been anywhere touristy yet as I have been too busy with admin type stuff.  I have visited The Ponds/Kellyville/Stanhope Gardens/Glenwood area, Pennant Hills/Thornby, Central Coast (Narara), Cronulla.  So far Narara and The {Ponds/Kellyville/Stanhope GardensGlenwood look good but Narara may be a bit too far from work. Stanhope Gardens/Glenwood has got the express bus to North Sydney and the Norwest train line opens in 2019 (supposedly).  The schools are also very good and houses a lot more affordable than the others areas.

On Sunday I will be taking the ferry along the Parramatta River to Circular Quay to see the Opera house. From there I will go to Bondi Beach.  Eventually something touristy.

But we have lots of time to visit all the touristy places.

I applied for my driver's licence on Monday morning and received it in the post today!

Hi Charles,

Sorry to ask 🙈 but how did you get a postal address?  Can you open a post box it even if you don't have a permanent physical address yet?

Regards,

Daleen

On 6/29/2018 at 8:58 AM, Daleen said:

Hi Charles,

Sorry to ask 🙈 but how did you get a postal address?  Can you open a post box it even if you don't have a permanent physical address yet?

Regards,

Daleen

I used the Airbnb I'm staying at.  It's very easy to change the address once we get a place.

Perfect, thank you so much!

So, here I sit, on the second night before I return to South Africa.  This place has grown on  me. I can honestly say that I can see this becoming our home. I return to South Africa for a month and then our family heads back to Sydney permanently.  I have gotten an excellent feel for Sydney over the last 3 weeks, travelling on the buses and trains, walking through Central station during rush hour.  I've seen all the prospective suburbs that we could call home and I now feel like I am armed and ready to take this on.  I now know what it is like here and what it will take to make it work.

To those in the early stages, I remember how that felt.  Not knowing what this country is really like.  But if you're looking at providing a better future for your family, don't hesitate, this country is all I expected to be and more. Come on over and experience the utter feeling of freedom, of being able to walk to the shop, being able to catch a train, a bus, to walk in the city.  Where your kids are free to become whatever they choose.  So many opportunities for them.

• Like 5