Melbs & Brissie, what to see?

ferreiraw

Hi guys. 

Travelling to Melbs and Brissie in August, spending two weeks at both. 

Any suggestions on what NOT to miss out on? Staying with family so I'm sure they have tons to show us, but I would love to get more opinions. 

We have a car in both Melbourne and Brisbane so I would like to see all I can. 

Thanks! :)

Melb

We loved the Melbourne Zoo, haven't seen any other zoo like it!

Really enjoyed taking a trip on Puffing Billy, with a lazy afternoon picnic.

Wife enjoyed Queen Vic market...

Brisbane

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Take a trip out to Stradbroke Island

Take a trip down to the Gold Coast

• Like 1

Wine tour in the Yarra Valley. Melbourne CBD at night is great. Noosa in Qld - lovely. Brisbane Southbank.

• Like 1

we only visited Melbourne - extracts from our itinerary (keep in mind we had two, 2 year old girls with us 😉

Queen Victoria Market  market

Royal Botanic Gardens:                                    

https://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/visit-melbourne/plan-your-visit/getting-here

more

Melbourne Museum: very cheap ($14/adult and free for kids under 16!) and just so, so awesome. Their children’s gallery is incredible. A wonderland. Really a gift for parents and tots alike. Non-negotiable.   https://museumsvictoria.com.au/melbournemuseum/ 

museamlink

St. Kilda Beach, beautiful and within the city. The best part? PENGUINS. A little pier with a beautiful, historic restaurant perched at the end and a rocky outcrop that accommodates adorable fairy penguins

beach

Melbourne Zoo, ZOO  OR  Scienceworks  link

Mornington Peninsula: (DRIVE)

good eats - go to Degraves St in the city - next to Flinders st station 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's an Italian restaurant in the CBD called +39. The best pasta I've had, ever, hands down (and I've been to Italy). The pizza was great too. We snuck in, but you may need to book.

All of the above plus take a day trip out to Healesville. The animal sanctuary is superb and there are some gorgeous wine farms (you'll need a designated driver). We love visiting the Dandenong Ranges National Park - loads of hikes and quaint little towns. Also a day trip. As @SimpleSimon says, the Melbourne CBD at night is wonderful. The trams are free in the city so easy to get around. I prefer walking through all the laneways. Make sure you try a traditional Korean BBQ. Have fun. 

Edited by Husky
Spelling

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will reach you in time for your trip but in Brisbane here are some ideas.

Southbank is indeed a nice one to visit. There are also museums and a theatre there. It's also next to the city's main medical district if you want to glimpse the hospital facilities available. 

There are the very pleasant city gardens in the CBD that are linked over the Brisbane River by a very large civilian walkway to Southbank as well. You can also walk along the river in the CBD gardens and there is also Eagle Pier that offers similar walks. 

There are also some boat cruises from Southbank as well as the City Cat that will take you up and down the river.

Mount Coot-tha near Indooroopilly gives a nice view over the city and surrounds. The botanical gardens are also nearby, as well as the Planetarium.

There is also the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Fig Tree Pocket.

An hour south of Brisbane itself is the Gold Coast. It's a small holiday city with skyscrapers and is what Durban may have become if it had kept going forward from the 1980's instead of downward. There are also the Dreamworld, Waterworld, Warner Bros and Seaworld amusement Parks to look into. Plenty of park and public facilities too with food outlets within the city.

Surfers Paradise is a nice lifestyle with admittedly some seedy looking types around and some skyscrapers with good views from. I can't recall its name but the one is open to the public - for a fee.

A bit inland from the Gold Coast is Mount Tamborine with a nice town at the top and views along the way. Among several other things are a small winery and an exquisite grandfather/black forest cuckoo clock shop.

There are whale watching boats and helicopter rides over the sea from Seaworld and nice beaches in several places, including quieter ones.

The best beaches are however on the Sunshine Coast that are about an hour and half North of Brisbane. Noosa there is really picturesque. There is also the aquarium at Moolalooba that despite not looking very impressive outside has quite a bit underground. 

The Australian Zoo, which is now dedicated to Steve Irwin, is also up north there with various of the local wildlife. It's a bit heavily focused on Crocs but there is opportunity to feed Roo's and Koalas as well as see other Ozzie animals.

Hope that gives you enough ideas.

• Like 1

Excellent post @WayneAndMel.

I can also recommend going further inland from the Sunshine Coast.  Try to go to the small towns of Maleny and Montville.  There are a couple of freshwater falls you can hike to, Kondallla falls come to mind.

• Like 1

Thanks so much @WayneAndMel, that is quite extensive and I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you @ChrisH

I am currently in Melbs, freezing my but off and can’t wait to get a bit of heat into my bones. Melbs is pretty cool though, very metropolitan and arty. 

Thanks again for all your help. 

On 8/14/2018 at 12:15 PM, WayneAndMel said:

Not sure if this will reach you in time for your trip but in Brisbane here are some ideas.

Southbank is indeed a nice one to visit. There are also museums and a theatre there. It's also next to the city's main medical district if you want to glimpse the hospital facilities available. 

There are the very pleasant city gardens in the CBD that are linked over the Brisbane River by a very large civilian walkway to Southbank as well. You can also walk along the river in the CBD gardens and there is also Eagle Pier that offers similar walks. 

There are also some boat cruises from Southbank as well as the City Cat that will take you up and down the river.

Mount Coot-tha near Indooroopilly gives a nice view over the city and surrounds. The botanical gardens are also nearby, as well as the Planetarium.

There is also the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Fig Tree Pocket.

An hour south of Brisbane itself is the Gold Coast. It's a small holiday city with skyscrapers and is what Durban may have become if it had kept going forward from the 1980's instead of downward. There are also the Dreamworld, Waterworld, Warner Bros and Seaworld amusement Parks to look into. Plenty of park and public facilities too with food outlets within the city.

Surfers Paradise is a nice lifestyle with admittedly some seedy looking types around and some skyscrapers with good views from. I can't recall its name but the one is open to the public - for a fee.

I think WayneandMel is referring to the ‘Skypoint Q1’ . The views up & down the coastline are pretty amazing. I looked on their website & it’s $25pp or $65 for a family. We’ve found the platters quite big & decent value. The food obviously costs extra but why not take your

own if you don’t want to spend too much?

Please take a look on Groupon, wherever you are, there are usually deals. I see there’s one for the Southbank Brisbane ‘Eye’ thing (down to $12), but that’s not great imho.

Edited by Bonny