Requirements for first time tenant

BradleyM

Good Day,

Coming over on a 190 visa, what would the requirements be to successfully getting a home rental.  From what I've read, I need to pay at lest 2 weeks rent in advance, or more than 4 weeks rent as a rental bond.

Do I need to supply 3 months Oz payslip ? 3 months Oz Bank statements ?  

@BradleyM it depends on what state you're going to. Mostly it's all very similar. QLD rentals are governed by yhe RTA who require that tenants pay 4 weeks rent in bond, which is held by the RTA and not the rental agency or landlord and at least 2 weeks rent in advance. 

We used the followimg documents to get our first rental:

Bank statements for our everyday day account and savings account, mortgage statement from our home loan in RSA (proves you make regular payments on time), a letter of reference fromthe people who bought our house in RSA, letters of reference from close friends and a cover letter (including photos of our home in RSA).

It also helps to have someone already in Aus as a contact to put down on your application as a referee and a letter from your employer here or employment contact.

We arrived without jobs so chose to offer 6 months rent in advance to secure rental, which worked for us. You can offer but a landlord or rental agent cannot demand this, the max they can ask for is 2 weeks (here in QLD that is). The more prepared you are and the more paperwork you throw at a rental agency with your application the more chance you stand of getting that rental. 

Check out 1Form and rental.com.au

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We provided similar documents and offered to pay 3-6 months rental in advance, but the landlord was happy for us to pay on a normal schedule. We did show a job contract (I had not started work yet so couldn't show payslips or bank statement, the bank statement just had a deposit made from SA!) The landlord seemed to be very happy that we had previously owned a house, I thought it would be a problem not having rented for the last decade but it wasn't. You'll also have to prove identity so passport plus drivers license or similar.

• Like 1

Don't offer to pay anything in advance. I had a whole lot of documents prepared (like letter from bank, rec letters from my SA Home Owners Association, etc.), but  I ended up not submitting any of them. All they're interested in is, do you have the money to pay the rent? 100 point check documents (driver license, passport, Medicare etc.), and bank statement for proof of funds should suffice. I was a complete wreck about securing a rental when we arrived here, and realized that it had all been for nothing. I got two properties on the same day, had to give one up. So don't stress.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 1:33 PM, Pell said:

Don't offer to pay anything in advance. I had a whole lot of documents prepared (like letter from bank, rec letters from my SA Home Owners Association, etc.), but  I ended up not submitting any of them. All they're interested in is, do you have the money to pay the rent? 100 point check documents (driver license, passport, Medicare etc.), and bank statement for proof of funds should suffice. I was a complete wreck about securing a rental when we arrived here, and realized that it had all been for nothing. I got two properties on the same day, had to give one up. So don't stress.

I suspect the current rental market is really slow anyway - when we were looking, we visited I think 7 properties on one day and at 3 of them we were the only people. This was end of March this year. I see people on Facebook complaining that they can't get their rentals filled. So hopefully the mad rush for a place that was true a few months ago is not the case now, and anybody who is not going over their ability to pay should have a decent change of getting a place.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 3:53 PM, Tntaglia said:

I suspect the current rental market is really slow anyway - when we were looking, we visited I think 7 properties on one day and at 3 of them we were the only people. This was end of March this year. I see people on Facebook complaining that they can't get their rentals filled. So hopefully the mad rush for a place that was true a few months ago is not the case now, and anybody who is not going over their ability to pay should have a decent change of getting a place.

That may be true for now, but my experience was in early 2015, when the rental market was rather hot. If the market is slow now, there's an opportunity to negotiate the rent down. 

• Like 1