Visa 489 Tasmania

Snoesie

Question

It seems very unclear to how the sponsorship visa 489 works . My agent said I need to work and live in a rural low density area for 2 years and have worked for 12 months in order to apply for my PR. The zip codes of where you can work and live is on the Government site. So if I received a sponsorship through TAS and made a visit to TAS and unable to secure a job and then move to any of the areas as per Government list, do I brake the law. I don’t want to do anything that would jeopardize my chances to get PR after 2 years. What do you guys have to say?

5 answers to this question

Hi. We're also leaving for Tassie on a 489. The wife and I also had the same questions, but we are sticking with Tas exactly for that reason. After making the choice, we actually have more peace by knowing we are doing the right thing. (Things are changing quickly)  We're now fully committed to them and ready to call Tassie home!!

• Like 2

I am not an agent but I do know that Legislation allows you to work and live in all the regional post codes. If you find you cannot find work in your nominated region, and want to feel more comfortable about leaving then just obtain a release letter from your region

Also got it like that. We just feel we need to fulfill our commitment to the state that sponsored us. If we can't find work at any level, I guess we also need to make a move. The great thing about the 489 is that you are not limited to a specific occupation. 

8 hours ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

obtain a release letter from your region

You absolutely must apply to your state to request a Statement of Release. The state will then decide whether they agree that you have given it enough time to have shown a commitment to the state and despite that cannot find work (any work mind you, not your dream job). Remember too that you submitted a commitment statement to the state to get the visa and if you leave without a Statement of Release it may count against you on character grounds when applying for citizenship.  Make sure you have all your ducks in a row before just up sticks and moving to another state. Australia uses data matching extensively and they will know where you live to check this. Note too that not all states give out a statement of release so then your only option will be to make a go of it or visa cancelled. Not sure what Tassie's policy is on this.

This thread has a similar discussion:

• Like 1

As said elsewhere, yes you have a primary commitment to the state that sponsored you. Yes they chose you based on your qualifications. So you have to look for work in that state and really try to stay there. But...immigration sometimes doesn't have their ducks in a row regarding the actual job vacancies vs perceived shortages, so it is possible that you get sponsored by a state for work that isn't there. It is for this reason that they allow you to leave, without penalty, if you go through the right channels and submit your paperwork as required.

The two sides are:

• Don't say yes to someplace just to get in, in the full knowledge that you want to move elsewhere asap - this is lying, chances are it will bite you later!
  • The state doesn't want to you suffer unduly for changes in the job market they cannot control, so there is an alternative for genuine cases

Problems arise when people try to abuse the system. If you are not doing that, you'll be fine.