Waiting time for visa

aliciavz

Question

Hi Guys

First of all, who ever made this site, thank you sooo much.  After much research and deliberation my husband and I decided to apply for a visa through an agency.  The waiting period is apparently 9-12 months, but I've heard of others who got it way before that.  Does it really take that long?  I don't want to be caught off guard when it suddenly arrives after three months... As a teacher it is horrible to leave a school during a term.  

3 answers to this question

5 hours ago, aliciavz said:

Hi Guys

First of all, who ever made this site, thank you sooo much.  After much research and deliberation my husband and I decided to apply for a visa through an agency.  The waiting period is apparently 9-12 months, but I've heard of others who got it way before that.  Does it really take that long?  I don't want to be caught off guard when it suddenly arrives after three months... As a teacher it is horrible to leave a school during a term.  

Yes, occasionally some get processed quicker, processing times can change for better and worse.  However until the visa is in your hand it is very difficult to be sure and you can stress yourself silly.  In the past I have seen processing times increase and decrease, and following one change in priorities the processing times of the skilled independent visas went from 2-3 months to 1-3 years.  

The way to look at it is that until the visa is in your hand changes can occur.  What you need to be aware of is that you do not need to move immediately the visa is granted there are a couple of timeframes so you can balance term times and notice periods around this even if it arrives unexpectedly. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the forum. The whole process took us 18 months to get our visa. This process is a real patience tester.

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum.  Waiting times have gradually been getting worse.  The norm is around 9 - 12 months at this stage.

• Thanks 1