IELTS

Meg87

Question

Hi guys

We are wanting to apply for skilled visa189 - I am a primary school teacher. I did the ielts academic test and got the scores needed for skills assessment BUT I only got 7 for writing and apparently I need all 8s for visa application! I am really disappointed as I found the exam experience tough. Although I got an overall band score of 8, I have been advised that I can do the general test now to get 8 in all components. Has anyone done both the general and academic IELTS? Any tips and advice on how the 2 types of exams compare. Is the general much easier? 

2 answers to this question

HI Meg87, 

Like most of the people on the forum I have not done both the general and academic, and only general. Was adviced by agent that it is easier. Just make sure if you can in fact do the general , considering you are teacher...

Which ever way good luck

As far as I am aware the tests are very similar except for the writing, where in the academic writing subjects relate to an analysis or an argument relating to statistics, or an academic piece etc. Whereas in general writing test they ask for an argument/comparison/opinion with regard to general day-to-day issues: Example - what in your opinion are the advantages and disadvantages of home schooling? There is also the 150 word letter which can be an informal or formal letter depending on the question: Example - write a letter to a friend telling them how much you enjoyed the holiday with them?