And so our journey begins

TracyK

Hello All,

In the last month I have taken so much from this forum and feel I need to introduce myself and also thank each and every person who contributes to this site, WOW!

My name is Tracy and we are a family of 3 (Myself, my husband and our 6 year old daughter) or should I say 5, including 2 pooches.  My husband has always suggested immigration but I was not so keen and always considered our families and the impact this will have on them.  Just over a month ago I started reading up on immigration as for some reason I felt maybe now is a good time to consider this .......well let me say, it took me 2 days and my mind was made up.  Strangely enough my husband was  a bit reluctant to find out that I was ready and I think the fact that I was so sure of my decision and knew so much about the process, scared him a wee bit.

This forum has helped me immensely to answer most, if not all of his questions and concerns (and there was a lot I tell you) and also give him peace of mind that there are many people who are busy or have done this for the exact same reasons we are.  I do believe we are going in with the right attitude and for the right reasons and hope this feeling prevails through this lengthy, sometimes frustrating process.

So currently we are only in the beginning of the process (feels like I have been working on this for months):

• Assigned a Migration agent (took recommendations from this forum)
  • English PTE test booked for my husband
  • Busy with Phase 1 of Skills assessment for my husband
  • Informed immediate family and friends of our plans 
  • Googled and researched to no end 
  • Applying for necessary documents (luckily we have an Unabridged birth certificate for our daughter)

Well that is a small introduction from my side.......We are looking forward to this journey and hope that we too will be able to assist others in the near future!

Edited by TracyK
  • Like 3

Welcome!

Good luck with the journey! You will learn patience, and then learn some more.;)

@TracyK

Welcome to the forum! May your journey be smooth and may God grant you a lot of patience!

When you become disgruntled, just come and vent here, everyone on this forum, has knowledge of playing the waiting game!

Yea, we've recently had some family do a 180 on their stance on immigration, so in that regard I can tell you it's a bit unbalancing to face such a drastic change in what seems like an instant. It makes you wonder how sincere the person is. Until, as you mentioned here, you explain that you have in fact given it lots of thought.

All the best on your journey, I hope it works out well for you ;) (it has, for many others already)

Edited by RedPanda
typo

Welcome @TracyK. We have just been granted our visas a few days ago and it still feels like a dream.

The entire process is mind blowing, daunting, nerve wracking but every bit of it is worth it.  It will test your patience, your strength and your ability to keep it all together.  Like @Mara says "use this forum to vent", it does help, trust me, I did. You see this is the only place where what you're going through, has been felt by others and there's no one better to keep you sane and give you advice than the kind, caring souls on this forum. I honestly don't know how I would have coped without the encouragement, support and advice from the forumites here. I couldn't talk to anyone else about the anguish and anxiety I was feeling because none of my friends or family could actually understand so I turned to just venting here and so many people "listened" to my whinging and whining and basically gave me a virtual knock on the head to keep me going, and keep it all together.

So with that mouthful, I wish you everything of the best to what is the most adrenaline pumping journey you'll ever have, forget bungee jumping.  

• Like 3

I fully agree with @March2 - this forum has been fantastic. This morning I booked our one way tickets to Australia and I was telling my wife that I cannot believe we finally set a date. We are super excited - also nervous but we cannot wait for the new adventures that will start in Australia.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for their advice.

• Like 3

Firstly, Congrats @March2 it must be an awesome feeling to finally have the visa, and definately worth it!!!!

@FingersCrossed, what date do you leave? It must feel surreal, I can imagine the nerves kicking in right now.

We have informed some friends and family, obviously all having mixed emotions but we know we doing the right thing.

We know its going to be a tough experience and definately are under no illusion of it being a smooth ride, but we ready for it!

I will definately vent here when needs be as the support and advise on this forum is amazing!!! Thank you.

• Like 1

Five of my biggest lessons since I left SA are:

• Get ready to find a totally new kind of normal - it's difficult and you may find your identity gets lost but it's also really liberating.
  • Really, I mean really, invest in your relationship - your partner is going to be your rock and it can get lonely whilst you adjust.
  • Don't try hang on too hard to the friendships back in SA, you have your new life to focus on and they have theirs. No point feeling hard done by or hurt because you don't / they don't keep in contact regularly. Out of sight is outta mind.
  • You may think in the beginning you have made loads of friends but I have become a bit more realistic (cautious after being burned a few times). One or two great buddies far outweighs a huge social circle of "kinda" friends.
  • Try not to stick to only expat circles - engaging with locals is really important.
Edited by TamTam
  • Like 3

On 06/05/2018 at 4:24 AM, TamTam said:

Five of my biggest lessons since I left SA are:

• Get ready to find a totally new kind of normal - it's difficult and you may find your identity gets lost but it's also really liberating.
  • Really, I mean really, invest in your relationship - your partner is going to be your rock and it can get lonely whilst you adjust.
  • Don't try hang on too hard to the friendships back in SA, you have your new life to focus on and they have theirs. No point feeling hard done by or hurt because you don't / they don't keep in contact regularly. Out of sight is outta mind.
  • You may think in the beginning you have made loads of friends but I have become a bit more realistic (cautious after being burned a few times). One or two great buddies far outweighs a huge social circle of "kinda" friends.
  • Try not to stick to only expat circles - engaging with locals is really important.

I completely agree with you on all counts!