The Journey

BarrysinOZ

Hi Guys,

This is my 1st time posting in here, we'll be relocating to the NSW North coast, this is our journey...

The process started in Aug 2017, received and accepted an offer for employment down under.

457 Visa application started, Visa gets approved day before being abolished in April 2018 (Sjoe!!)

In between Visa application and grant, thee wife and I get pregnant and we are expecting our 1st baby :D (Parents 1st grandkid)

Now with baby due in Oct, and the employers ready for me to give them date to book flights its starting to feel like we would be robbing our family of seeing the bundle of joy.

I wouldnt want the wife to be without family support for the birth of baby in OZ especially if im tied up at work, conversely i wouldnt miss the birth of baby for anything in the world.

It is starting to feel a bit overwhelming, and starting to question the decision,(I am in a relatively secure work environment) but I know this move would be good.

Regards

Hi and welcome @BarrysinOZ :)

A lot of people on this forum have made the decision to emigrate for one reason: their kids. In my mind, there's no question: Australia is the better future for your little one, and that has to be your end goal.

If your baby is born in Aus, he/she is automatically added to your 457 visa. If born in SA, you will need to apply for a child visa. I know you don't want to be thinking about what could go wrong, but if there are any health complications, the child visa may be a no-go due to health considerations and your chance of emigrating may be over.

Is there any way you can have immediate family over in Aus while the baby is born, and fly back shortly thereafter to spend some time off etc?

Are there any other visa options open to you, if you decided not to take the job with the 457?

Welcome to the forum.

You need to have a long chat with your good wife and proceed, or stop, along this process in unified agreement.

If you are not of the same mind then the process is doomed from the beginning.

We had a similar decision to make about 9 years ago when in the process of immigrating to New Zealand. My wife decided that since we were planning a 2nd child, she could not deny her family the opportunity to meet the baby, so we binned the plans and stayed. It was only after an armed robbery in our house last year, that the self same child had a mini breakdown and we started the process anew. (Only the domestic was home during the event, but the invasion left my kids heavily traumatized for a few months).

So therein lies the big WHAT IF! Only you two can make the decision. Good luck with that!

16 hours ago, iambrettstar said:

Hi and welcome @BarrysinOZ :)

A lot of people on this forum have made the decision to emigrate for one reason: their kids. In my mind, there's no question: Australia is the better future for your little one, and that has to be your end goal.

If your baby is born in Aus, he/she is automatically added to your 457 visa. If born in SA, you will need to apply for a child visa. I know you don't want to be thinking about what could go wrong, but if there are any health complications, the child visa may be a no-go due to health considerations and your chance of emigrating may be over.

Is there any way you can have immediate family over in Aus while the baby is born, and fly back shortly thereafter to spend some time off etc?

Are there any other visa options open to you, if you decided not to take the job with the 457?

Hi @iambrettstar thanx for your response, the future opportunities for baby definitely lies elsewhere, 

We have asked the questions to my prospective employer and it seems promising, they are willing to loan us the money (if needed) if we decide to have baby in Aus... cost of birth without medicare at the local hospital is anywhere between $6000-&10000 (They enquired for us at the local hospital), and they would also grant me a period of leave to fly back in Oct for baby birth if we decide that route, we just running it through with the migration agent if it is possible. (I feel really blessed that it Seems like i got a chilled out, surfer type Ozzie boss lol) that is considerate of our situation we are currently in.

14 hours ago, Ta2Bryan said:

Welcome to the forum.

You need to have a long chat with your good wife and proceed, or stop, along this process in unified agreement.

If you are not of the same mind then the process is doomed from the beginning.

We had a similar decision to make about 9 years ago when in the process of immigrating to New Zealand. My wife decided that since we were planning a 2nd child, she could not deny her family the opportunity to meet the baby, so we binned the plans and stayed. It was only after an armed robbery in our house last year, that the self same child had a mini breakdown and we started the process anew. (Only the domestic was home during the event, but the invasion left my kids heavily traumatized for a few months).

So therein lies the big WHAT IF! Only you two can make the decision. Good luck with that!

Hi @Ta2Bryan sorry to hear about that unfortunate incident, and Goodluck and hope the process goes smoothly this time around. 

We in daily discussion thinking about each and every scenario possible, weighing up all pros and cons. 

I guess every possible outcome would have a "what if" attached somehow.

It does sound like the prospective employer is going out of their way to make it easy for you!

I do think you hit the nail on the head there - there's a "what if" for everything. Ta2Bryan is also spot on: only you two can make the decision.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome @BarrysinOZ. Just keep positive..it's so easy to think of staying back! keep your head up and im sure it will all come together at the end. Congratulations on the baby, best experience ever..enjoy

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just a heads up, after all the thinking and weighing up options, we decided to take the LEAP OF FAITH!

THE MOST DIFFICULT DECISION EVER!!- I will head out alone (Flight is 30th June) leaving my wife behind for final 3 months of pregnancy to give birth in SA (Im flying back in Oct for delivery), gives the fam a few months 2 meet lil 1.

And also flying back in Dec, with wife joining me as soon as docs for baby is sorted.

Am i mad? So many scenarios that could unfold, hope I am not misjudging the Cost of living (for the 2 return flights this year) We are going to leave it all in the Lords hands...

Sjoe guys

That's a very personal decision you are making and I don't think anyone has the right to say whether you are right or wrong/mad.

I just wonder if you have considered how long it might take to get your child added to your visa? With visa processing times getting longer and longer your wife might not be able to join you for a while.

Also, how will you feel to leave your partner and your child behind and be thousands of kilometers and 8 time zones away?  I've got a 10 month old son and couldn't imagine being away for more than a weekend let alone months. On the other hand we don't exactly have any family support with the little one so that is a big factor in your case.

Oh and keep in mind that babies don't follow your plans! Our little one decided to be stubborn and only arrived 10 days late after my wife got induced, while friends of ours have had their child arrive a month early.

In any case, I am glad I am not in your shoes! Personally I would of taken my wife with and had my child in Australia.

1 hour ago, Rossen said:

Personally I would of taken my wife with and had my child in Australia.

I agree with you Rossen.

Adding your baby to your visa is a separate visa application which takes between 10 and 19 months according to immi website. So your wife and baby will be stuck in RSA for up to a year give or take while they wait for this to come through. The visa costs $2415 - in rand that's a flight for Granny to be here for the birth plus spending money.

For me the biggest risk is if baby cannot pass the medical.  We all expect to have a healthy baby but anything can happen.  I would not risk your entire future on this. Being born here when you have the opportunity makes your baby an instant citizen too. Now if you are taking all these risks and costs into account and still feel that it is worth not being together for possibly the first year of your child's life so that the family can meet baby as a new born then at least you have made an informed decision. And apologies for sounding harsh - these are just the plain facts as I see them that I would want to be told if there were factors that I didn't know that I didn't know.

@TamTam has recent experience of applying for the child visa and how long it is taking / has taken.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

Hi guys, thank you for your input, unfortunately its a 457 visa with 12month waiting period for pregnancy on health cover, with costs ranging from $6000-$10000 for birth. If there was no waiting period that would've been 1st choice hands down.

Adding a newborn to 457, is the waiting period the same? Is it the same visa you mentioned? 

These past 4 weeks has been an emotional rollercoaster

@BarrysinOZ I was in you situation sometime back (on 457 and wife expecting). What you can do is signup with BUPA and apply for a waiver on the pregnancy waiting period. What they required is a health insurance certificate from the last insurance we used in Africa and that was it. Potentially saving us the estimated $10,000 cost. Issues raised by @Rossen are real, but again, only you can make this decision.

Edited by Aleku

As mentioned I recently received the child 101 visa which took 250 freaking days and turned me grey. However this particular visa type is only for children of Australian citizens and permanent residents. So yeah I don’t think this visa type is applicable to your situation. 

I must say I agree wholeheartedly with @RYLC about not risking a bubba that may fail a medical. That trashes all your dreams of emigrating. Definitely investigate what @Aleku said above about BUPA and the pregnancy waiting period waiver. 

This might be a question for an agent then because I didn't read back over the whole thread about the 457 and didn't see it in your second to last post. Maybe @TeeTMI can advise about a newborn on a 457 born in RSA or born here.

Edited by RYLC

Okay I've done a bit of digging (gone down a rabbit hole!) Please note that I am not a migration agent and have merely found info available on the immi website.

If your baby is born outside Australia, you would need to apply for a “Subsequent entrant” 457 visa with fees of $2,400 plus medicals plus RSA passport etc.  From what I can see processing time can be as long as 9 months from submission. You would also have the wait time for the passport in RSA. Don't know how long birth certificates and passports take nowadays.  But here's the problem: the 457 visa is now closed to new applications.

From the immi website it says: Note: if you lodge a subsequent entrant visa application after 18 March 2018, you can only be granted a TSS visa even if the main applicant and other family members are the holders of a subclass 457 visa. This is because a subclass 457 visa cannot be granted after this date. (closed to new applications).

I don't know if this is a problem or not. Might need to ask an agent about this.

In contrast, if your baby is born in Australia, then you notify immi on their changes to circumstances form and baby is automatically added to your 457 with no fee or medical.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/supporting/Pages/482/subsequent-entrants.aspx

PS Great piece of info @Aleku. Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

@RYLC Thank You, I have also did a bit of looking around and its difficult to find the exact processing times, we were hoping for the wife to join early in new year... that doesn't seem the case.

The scenario we face is wife gives birth in Aus, (1st baby) ill be working most of the day with her being alone. (Alone with a new born baby in a new country is probably not a good idea for the emotions)  along with a bill of $6000-$10000.

@Aleku it doesn't seem that Bupa does the waiver anymore

Or wife remain behind and being away from her for up to a year 😭 Not an option!!!

Or try again in the near future... And get a possible law suit from Oz company (visa costs, flights, etc) and recruiter from South Africa.

Eina... Lord have mercy 

My wife and I had our first child in Aus on a 457 visa so have some experience here. It is tough not having any support of grannies and aunts and uncles to assist and advise, and its a tough time for family to miss out on getting to know the bub,  but it can also be a blessing not having a load of visitors and opinions on how to raise a child! We were also staring down the barrel of a $10k hospital bill, but luckily our 12 month waiting with Bupa had just been achieved, we had an uncomplicated birth in a public hospital so we were covered. However, had there been any complication, even a slight one that required an emergency ceasar (which is relatively common), that would've meant a minimum of a few nights stay at $2000 a night for moms bed plus babys expenses potentially, which may not have been totally covered! Having said that though, your alternative of leaving your wife behind seems very tough and uncertain, and being separated at a time when emotions are swinging and so much learning and joy are happening will be difficult. So if it were me, I'd bite the bullet and go to Aus, have the baby here, take the loan out to pay the bill (hospitals also allow payment plans), in the long term $10k is not going to kill you, you could probably save some of that in the next 3 months if you live on a tight budget. Family can always come visit, we had each granny over for 6 weeks each in succession to help us out! My wifes mom will be over every year for a 6 week visit, so baby still gets the same granny time, its just concentrated into 1 looong visit per year, interspersed with weekly skype calls!

Tough position you are in. Maybe it would be worth paying an agent just for their advice on what your options are (not a whole application) for baby? Would your employer pay the medical costs of the birth or give you an interest free loan to pay back over time? What are the options if you leave no stone unturned?

I get that your wife will be alone with first baby and you at work. I went through that myself. But between ante natal classes and play groups, people make life long friends here over the bond of having babies around the same time. It is different here. Much more community minded. Not sure whether you are church-goers, but church people would fall over themselves to support and include a new mum too. Can't remember which state you're going to but some states have nurses who visit new mums at home. Libraries have mum and tot sessions. There are so many ways not to be isolated.

I often play this game with my family when we have a difficult situation to face: just love the idea for 15 minutes. Brainstorm what could work if you absolutely had to both come over together. Could her mum come over and stay? With 3 months still to go, she would meet people at ante natal clinic and know her way around. Do you know anybody where you are landing? Will the company help with costs or put the price of your return ticket home for the birth towards medical costs here for instance? It might all seem like the harder option but I do think it might turn out to be the better option in the long run.

It is a tough decision to be in indeed,

The company has offered to loan us some money and pay back over time, which we appreciate.

But putting yourself on the back foot from day 1 on a 2yr 457 Visa, not ideal either. 

28 minutes ago, RYLC said:

Can't remember which state you're going to

We'll be in NSW North Coast

1 hour ago, BarrysinOZ said:

It is a tough decision to be in indeed,

The company has offered to loan us some money and pay back over time, which we appreciate.

But putting yourself on the back foot from day 1 on a 2yr 457 Visa, not ideal either. 

We'll be in NSW North Coast

I agree with the above sentiment.

We mostly have similar reasons for leaving SA, so in the end $10k is a small risk on your families future, especially if the company is offering to assist with a loan.

My kids are 8 & 12 and there is no way I am willing to leave them behind (Well, this is how I feel most days, then there are some days...).

Take the risk Barry! Future you will say thanks! (I strongly believe)

• Like 1

Agreed. Remember everyone on the forum is rooting for you. We want you to make the best decision for your family and I’m afraid that is taking the kids away from grannies etc. 

Its hard but it’s doable. I did it as have many others. Rather fly granny in! Especially from the post above - if no new 457 applicants are being accepted that means you can’t take your child over. At all! 

Have bubba in oz! Take the plunge. It sounds like your company is super supportive. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BarrysinOZ said:

@Aleku it doesn't seem that Bupa does the waiver anymore

So thats the thing, even then[2016], there was no information about waivers on their site. But I just went on their portal out of desperation and mailed a consultant seeking assistance on waiving the costs. Next thing I know is we get a reply asking for evidence we were on health insurance back in Africa. Once we mailed that in 2/3 days we got the good news and from then on they took up all the antenatal costs. Definitely worth a try

I say come to Oz, yes it may be difficult emotionally without family around when baby is born but it may be even more difficult when family has got to know the baby and then have to say goodbye, another emotional obstacle. It seems you might be close to your family so are not that convinced about immigrating anyway, or am I wrong? I am not trying to be insensitive but you must be realistic, immigrating requires commitment and being headstrong, being away from your wife and baby for many months may be difficult for you and may hinder you in adapting and integrating into your new life and job, your head will be somewhere else.

Where will you be heading to in the NSW North Coast? We live in Coffs Harbour on the NSW Mid-North Coast, this part of the world is stunning, fantastic place to live and raise a family.

Good luck

Hi @Aleku I was chatting to a consultant yesterday (Couldve been a chatbot) these days you never know, think im gonna get an email going instead.

@TakeItOnTheChin We'll be based in Grafton, just north of Coffs, 

6 hours ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

being away from your wife and baby for many months may be difficult for you and may hinder you in adapting and integrating into your new life and job, your head will be somewhere else.

Thats the real fear, going into a new job at 80% potential, when you should be going at 150% on a 457.

We are now pursuing the wife coming over in July, we have a gynie appointment on 2 July, if he gives green light then that will be great. hopefully we get a positive outcome from Bupa so we can use that funds to bring in the folks similar to what @jobizzle did

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarrysinOZ said:

Hi @Aleku I was chatting to a consultant yesterday (Couldve been a chatbot) these days you never know, think im gonna get an email going instead.

Thats the real fear, going into a new job at 80% potential, when you should be going at 150% on a 457.

We are now pursuing the wife coming over in July, we have a gynie appointment on 2 July, if he gives green light then that will be great. hopefully we get a positive outcome from Bupa so we can use that funds to bring in the folks similar to what @jobizzle did

Well I live in Coffs Harbour and work in Grafton, which is the main office of projects we have in the region. So if you need to know anything about the area then let me know

6 hours ago, BarrysinOZ said:

Great to hear you are planning for your wife to be here sooner. I know I'm a stranger but I've been fretting about you missing the birth what with the unpredictability of babies and the length of international travel. You can never get that moment back and the due date is really just a guess and can't be relied on.  Please check with the airline how late into pregnancy your wife can fly. I'd hate to see an unforeseen hurdle befall you.

PS Maybe tell the gynie she is definitely travelling so that he is the most open to giving the green light.

Edited by RYLC