Accept 489 Invite or Wait for 190?

Sue007

Question

Hi Everyone,

I would like some advise.

I have submitted an EOI for 190 and 489 NSW in Feb and have recently received an invite for the 489, NSW Northern Inland.

I have 60 days to accept this invite. However i would ideally want the 190 invite. What is the likelihood of receiving an invite for the 190 NSW soon with 65 Points? or should i just go ahead with the 489, as it is Northern Inland, and i am skeptical about job opportunities in manufacturing.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

8 answers to this question

@Sue007

We also applied for the 190...ideally we also would have liked that sponsorship...I've also got 65 points. But from what I understand you have to be rather highly qualified  to be invited on a 190 sponsorship. We have applied for the 190 last year already, but still no answer...hence us going on the 489 now. 

Also, from what my agent explained to me, they hand out a limited amount of 190 sponsorships, and by November last year that amount have already decreased by nearly half from 2016.

I've also been sceptical about the 489 at first...but hey, it's a way in.

Also from what my agent have explained to me only yesterday, the 489 is valid for 4 years, and you have to live in a regional area for two years, and work there for only one year before you can apply for PR. Apparently the application for PR after 2 years is also a seemingly easy online process...

Hope this helps you decide! Good luck

L

@Lili0905

Thank you so much for the advise! It really helps... and i guess you are right as well.

I hope it works out for us and we are granted the visas at the earliest! :-)

All the best to you as well!

Sue

Hi @Sue007 I also applied for NSW 190 with 65 points last year and waited a while even though I have over 20 years of experience in my field. I was running against the clock as I had just 2 months before I turned 45. My agents also suggested the 489 and I received an invitation from Tasmania within a month.  If time is not an issue and you are able to wait, then by all means, waiting for  the 190 is better as it is PR from day one and you get Medicare etc.. Otherwise just grab this invite for 489, like @Lili0905 said, it's just 2 years living in regional NSW and 12 months of working there to be proved and then you could go for PR and live and work wherever you prefer.  With all the changes happening these days, it's better to grab what you can.  Good luck with your decision and the rest of your process!

We have been on our 489 for 18 months and loving it. Regional NSW is a fantastic choice, especially along the coast. We were invited the Northern Inland but ended up moving to Coffs Harbour (Mid-North Coast) because there was a lot of engineering work in the region. We love it here and will remain here after our PR is granted. We have visited the cities but love it here more. Be careful, the 489 visa may not be a PR yet but it is still one of the best pathways. We have had many friends transition to the 887 PR and it is a really easy step.

Good luck, things are changing quickly, if you have a choice then appreciate it,  just remember that many others do not.

We received 489 SA invite which we applied for and then out of the blue 2 months later we received an invite to apply for state nomination for NSW 190 so now we are waiting the 12 weeks to see if they send us the invite to apply. 

Our 489 is busy being processed, and we hoping it will be finalised this month.. We will then start arranging to leave. Once the 190 comes through, we think we are going to apply for it bearing in mind we have to pay for the visa fee again :(. And should that be granted it will then override our 489.. 

That's what we think we will do but will see as things move along... if we happy on 489 then perhaps we wont do the 190.. not sure yet.. 

@March2, @PurpleFerriTakeItOnTheChin

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the advice , it is much appreciated !!! :-)

I have decided to wait for as long as i can for the 190, if i do not receive any invite then i will be accepting the 489...

Thanks again and good luck on gaining the Visas and PR.

Regards,

Sue

1 hour ago, Sue007 said:

@March2, @PurpleFerriTakeItOnTheChin

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the advice , it is much appreciated !!! :-)

I have decided to wait for as long as i can for the 190, if i do not receive any invite then i will be accepting the 489...

Thanks again and good luck on gaining the Visas and PR.

Regards,

Sue

I am sure you have a limited period to accept the invite which may be 60 days, not 100% sure

42 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

I am sure you have a limited period to accept the invite which may be 60 days, not 100% sure

Hi There,

Yes, it is 60 days to accept, its been more than 2 weeks now.....