Process for Dual Citizenship

Nallan

Question

Hi 

This might have posted but I just cant seem to find it, is there a step by step guide or post for applying for Aus citizenship as well as keeping SA citizenship - links would be great. Does one need a police clearance?

Thanks in advance. 

8 answers to this question

You can get a fair bit of information around the process of applying for Australian citizenship here: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/citi/pathways-processes

and here: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence

From what I can tell you will likely need a Police Clearance as evidence of good character:

Good character documents

You need to provide a penal clearance certificate if, in the time since you were granted a permanent Australian visa:

• you lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years
  • the total time spent overseas adds up to 12 months or more.

Provide a penal clearance certificate from every country in which you spent more than 90 days.

We might also ask you to provide a penal clearance certificate in other circumstances.

If you need a penal clearance from Australia, we will arrange it on your behalf. You do not need to pay an additional fee.

Just make sure that if you want to keep your SA citizenship and the fun and efficient trips to the SA high commission each time you need to renew it, you need to apply for retention of SA citizenship or something like that BEFORE getting your Aus citizenship else you lose your SA citizenship.

Hoezit once you're a dual citizen, dont bother with the embassy. its quicker to get your passport applied for in SA. Took me 6 working days, as opposed to 6+ months via the embassy. Cheers

Thanks, does one do this concurrently or do I have to wait for the SA result 1st? 

@Piet1234  hi there, came across this thread and am hoping to find some clarity  (albeit somewhat different to above enquiries) - I’ve scrolled through the Forum looking for info but to no avail. Hope you’ll pardon the intrusion   ;)

Am currently having this debate - 

process is as per SA High Commission website if another Citizenship is attained without applying for dual citizenship beforehand and then informing DHA Pretoria thereof. 

I got this reply from a friend: 

Correct and thus you do not need to renounce  but must send them “the determination of current status”. This letter states that it was determined that SA Citizenship was lost because another was taken without applying for dual citizenship.  

She only sent them copies of her passport and ID and 6 months later she got a letter confirming that she’s not a citizen but a resident by birth 

Has as anyone else followed this process with the same result?

Just curious - the way it was done seems so much easier than the process outlined on the SA High Commission website. 

apologies for the intrusion :)  

@Onthemove

Hi,

Not sure what the question is but Ill explain what I have done and how I understand it works.

So I live in UK and when we got British Citizenship I didn't bother applying for Dual. I also didn't bother telling SA or anyone that I am renouncing my SA citizenship.

When I had to renew my sons SA passport as a parent you fill in a "Determination of Citizenship" form which asks things like  "Do you have a different citizenship" and if so "Did you apply for dual" at that point they see what your citzenship status is. And in my case I had never told them this so they automatically did it for me and as you mentioned a few weeks later I got a letter in the post stating I am no longer a citizen but still a permanent resident as I was born there.

So you do not need to officially do anything to renounce your SA citizenship, as it is considered a voluntarily renouncement whenever you get a new citizenship without applying for dual, but should you need to do something at a SA high commission like childs passport or whatever, the first time you do this you will get that letter from them.

Just bear in mind should you ever want to return you would need to get that letter that states you are a permanent resident as that will allow you to return indefinitely, you can also apply for a "non citizen" ID book and after staying in SA for a year you get your citizenship and everything back.

Not sure if that answered your question, if not let me know and I will try again.

• Like 1

Hello @Piet1234. Yes, indeed, question is answered.  Thanks for getting back to me