Having A Baby In Australia

TamLovesRic

Hi all

Hubby and I are waiting for our Visa and are keen to have a baby. We have decided that it's obviously better to wait until we get there and settled to start that journey...but I am excited!!

I am just so curious what it's actually like to have a baby there regarding the care,support, doctors, etc..Do doctors push for cesars like they do here? 

I'd love to hear some experiences if anyone is willing to share.

The care is great. Caesarians are only done if medically necessary and drug free natural birth is the norm.  Obviously whatever is needed for a safe delivery is given, but there is no unnecessary intervention.

We had our daughter in Jhb (Parklane private) and son at Sydney Adventist Hospital. Both were brilliant.

I was part of a team that developed an epidural anaesthetic. It works terrifically so why suffer pain if you don’t need to?

We had our bubs in Broome, Western Australia. I was part of the Private Midwives Group, what a fantastic experience. Being regional, I could be a private patient in a public hospital with no out of pocket expenses at all, not even the excess amount. The midwife would visit me in the comfort of my own home, only seeing the doctor when necessary or for scans.

I went into labour after a planed cesarean. They tend to let you carry right up to the end before they will perform a ceaser. (39 weeks is the norm). They also gave steroids to baby to help develop the lungs. Apparently that is just the trend in Australia at the moment. Was not really necessary. My bubs arrived at 37 weeks.

• Like 1

I am also interested to hear, what is their approach when a woman has already had a cesarean? So they make you try for a VBAC or do they do another cesarean by default?

@TamLovesRic, I'm sure that the medical care in Australia is as good if not better than private health care in RSA when it comes to having a baby. We had our little one at Fourways Life just over 7 months ago and had a very good experience.

What you might be missing in Australia is the family support which some people really rely on. Also you wont have a domestic/maid that can help out either so you will be on your own. Having your first child with no support structure can be extremely difficult... 

1 hour ago, RYLC said:

There is no default. They will assess you and decide on a case by case basis.

That's good to hear as I would like to try for VBAC for the next bubs. I had emergency Caesar with my first.

1 hour ago, Rossen said:

@TamLovesRic, I'm sure that the medical care in Australia is as good if not better than private health care in RSA when it comes to having a baby. We had our little one at Fourways Life just over 7 months ago and had a very good experience.

What you might be missing in Australia is the family support which some people really rely on. Also you wont have a domestic/maid that can help out either so you will be on your own. Having your first child with no support structure can be extremely difficult... 

I couldn't agree with @Rossen more!! I had my first in a foreign country with ZERO help aside from my wonderful husband. Plus my son was a colicky baby. I felt very isolated, lonely and run down. I would advise the following because it's exactly what I will do for the next one:

• Get a cleaner at least once a week to help with laundry and cleaning (obviously assuming finances allow)
  • Take advantage of a family member or friend willing to come over and help you out, especially for the first 6 weeks
  • Join a pre-natal class, having that support from other moms to be will be very helpful for emotional support
  • Hubby HAS to help right from day 1 - I've heard way too many moms say "oh but he needs to rest because he has to go to work" - that's nonsense - he needs to help you so you can recover. If that means he takes a night feed or two so you can get some shut eye then so be it
  • You need to create your own village to help you raise your child
  • You need time to yourself, and 30 minutes here and there just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Work out a schedule where you can get out the house, get some exercise, go for a long lunch with a book, see a friend - without the baby.

Just two cents from a mama who had to learn some tough lessons.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TamTam said:

I couldn't agree with @Rossen more!! I had my first in a foreign country with ZERO help aside from my wonderful husband. Plus my son was a colicky baby. I felt very isolated, lonely and run down. I would advise the following because it's exactly what I will do for the next one:

• Get a cleaner at least once a week to help with laundry and cleaning (obviously assuming finances allow)
  • Take advantage of a family member or friend willing to come over and help you out, especially for the first 6 weeks
  • Join a pre-natal class, having that support from other moms to be will be very helpful for emotional support
  • Hubby HAS to help right from day 1 - I've heard way too many moms say "oh but he needs to rest because he has to go to work" - that's nonsense - he needs to help you so you can recover. If that means he takes a night feed or two so you can get some shut eye then so be it
  • You need time to yourself, and 30 minutes here and there just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Work out a schedule where you can get out the house, get some exercise, go for a long lunch with a book, see a friend - without the baby.

Just two cents from a mama who had to learn some tough lessons.

@TamLovesRic Or have a baby here! :P:lol: I mean with the current 9 to 12 months (I know we're hoping for 3 months but lets be realistic) waiting period for the 189 you definitely have the time! 

• Haha 1

@TamLovesRic no, no. The waiting time for the 101 child visa is currently at 10 - 17 months! It's a lot of additional money and stress to apply for a separate visa.

Far better to have the kiddies in Oz!

HAHAHAHAH @Rossen - Oh I am CERTAIN murphy will come knocking the day I fall pregnant here..no no no, not taking any chances! LOL. 

@TamTam - thank you so much for the great advice, I will keep it in mind - I am scared of the isoloation!! But I have instructed my mother that she will be coming to stay with us for two months when we eventually are blessed enough with a baby :) Sorry HUBBY!!! :lol: 

We don't have a domestic now anyway, so at least i'm used to that!! But I do think getting a cleaner in would help - thousands of mums cant be wrong when they say the first six weeks are HARD.

I have heard that you get a "baby bonus" in Australia when you have a baby there, ie - the government gives you a bit of a support cash injection. Is this true? Not that its a reason to have a kid - LOL - but it could help with some extra cash flow TO get a cleaner in once a week? 

@bbop - thanks for your input :wub: this is all very encouraging. 

On 3/27/2018 at 12:42 AM, SimpleSimon said:

We had our daughter in Jhb (Parklane private) and son at Sydney Adventist Hospital. Both were brilliant.

I was part of a team that developed an epidural anaesthetic. It works terrifically so why suffer pain if you don’t need to?

@SimpleSimon - Oh no, I want an epidural, definitely! LOL 

I just find that in south africa - every single one of the ladies I know who have given birth, it has been a c section, even though they really wanted natural birth - i'm talking 15+ ladies. I could be wrong, but I feel docs in SA will make any kind of excuse for a cesarians...something to do with insurance costs and they get paid more for cesarians? The proof is in the pudding... Please tell me if I am talking rubbish though!:P

This is only the private sector, i'm sure it's different in public. 

5 minutes ago, TamLovesRic said:

I have heard that you get a "baby bonus" in Australia when you have a baby there

This payment was phased out. It was very generous. Nowadays there is only a Newborn Upfront Payment of $540 per child. It's not taxable. Any other payments for babies/children are dependent on your family income and mostly go to low income earners. Centrelink will work out whether you are entitled to anything.

1 hour ago, Rossen said:

Or have a baby here!

I know this is just a tongue in cheek suggestion but I shudder every time somebody posts that they want to have a baby in RSA before they come.  My reason for this is that if your baby is born with any significant medical issues, your family will not pass the medicals and your move to Australia is cancelled.  We all expect to have healthy babies but anything can happen and you never know quite what you're going to get. If you have the option, rather have the child here where they are instant citizens and no birth defects or medical issues will stand in your way of moving here.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@RYLC - you are so right....I hadn't even thought of that!!

Anyway, having fun trying ...... or practicing.

I was just glancing over medical insurers in Aus and saw most of them prominently said that pregnancies aren't covered in the first 12 months of your insurance. Not sure how much reliance there is on the medical insurance versus what the state is willing to pay

Another advantage about having the baby in Australia.  

The mothers I work with were all part of mothers groups.  Apparently you get assigned to a mothers group when you have your first baby.  The group meet a few times for parenting lessons (and maybe antenatal classes) and then keep getting together as a support group.  Most of the mothers, who now have children aged 5-14 are still friends with the mothers from their groups.  This seems like a wonderful way to meet people, "integrate" and make lasting friends.  This only seems to happen for a first baby. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nyevfby said:

I was just glancing over medical insurers in Aus and saw most of them prominently said that pregnancies aren't covered in the first 12 months of your insurance. Not sure how much reliance there is on the medical insurance versus what the state is willing to pay

Having a baby in the public system is completely free if your visa qualifies you for Medicare. 

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 6:41 PM, TamTam said:

I don't have kids yet but we are hoping to start end this year. Looking at my sister and friends who recently had kids I think this is the best advise ever! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You are 100% right I lived in Perth for 10 years only knew one person who had ceaser, I’m in Durban I had my baby in January and yes doctors do try push for ceaser to do with insurance. Liability insurance is 1 mil a year here now 😣😣😣