Mixed bag

Sabrin

Couple of qlvaried questions for those who went on a 190 visa to nsw:

1. You don't need a job offer on this sub-class so assume most people go and then find work once there. How did you decide where to work / live? Not sure to look at school first, then area then commute then job. May be overthinking it.

2. Time of year: processing times 4-8 months. Ideally want to be there in Aug when 3rd term starts but any advice on going later in the year if visa comes in later?

3. Age: not sure if it's a real concern but always a worry in SA. Husband turned 47 this month. Experienced manager in warehouse management. Is age discriminiation a worry in Oz or are they more open to experienced candidates than here in SA?

4. CV writers: yay or nay?

Thanks

Hi.

1. Look at job ads on internet such as seek.com.au etc and go where you think the most jobs might be available in your qualification. I seem to see many people on this forum moving a few times before they end up where they settle if they dont have a job beforehand

2. Over December there seems to be a sluggishness in hiring new people. So many people advocate against moving then, just because of that. But if you can support yourselves over that period, it might be a nice settling in period. If you dont have the money then it is extremely stressful from what I read on the forum for other people.

3. Not sure about age discrimination in the workplace. Not an issue in my job.

4. Also not sure as I got job based on my CV as it was, but there is not a lot of competition in my line of work.

Maybe someone else with more experience might chip in...

2. Time of year: processing times 4-8 months. Ideally want to be there in Aug when 3rd term starts but any advice on going later in the year if visa comes in later?

If you go over without a job I would recommend not going later in the year in case it takes a while to find work. I landed in August and it took me 3 months to find work so I only started working in November. Had I come over later in the year it would have been a problem as places start shutting down in December. There's a general slow down over December and January making it difficult to find a job over those months - although not entirely impossible but you don't want to have that added stress.

• Like 1