Immigration laws

veinkamerer

Question

This past week I've read some articles regarding probably changes to visas and visa grants. From time periods of applying for PR to qualifying and receiving citizenship. There is also an article about  "is Australia big enough for the the migrants entering Australia?" and that they could maybe cut on the amounts of visas issued. My question is... when we apply for a visa and you buy into its rules and regulations at that specific time, can the dep. of immigration change the conditions for that specific visa? eg. 489 regional sponsorship ...  2 years living in a regional area and 1 year work to qualify for 887 PR and then 2 years on that 887 you qualify for citizenship. 

Maybe a stupid question, but one that got us a bit thinking and are uncertain about.

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

The government can change visa laws.  They tried to change some of the 457 laws last year but it was stopped before they could go ahead.  You have to understand that its a balance between strengthening the economy with a bigger workforce and keeping people out that won't contribute to our economy.

I wouldn't worry too much about that though, all you want is a foot in the door.  Getting your family out of South Africa is the only thing that matters.  

• Like 2

The reality is that until you are a citizen the government can change whatever they want. Usually, but not always, they try to phase in changes in such a way that people get the deal they signed up for. Even so, you gotta be in it to win it. If you never come over then your chances of staying here are zero. If you do come over there is a small chance they could change things, but there is also a really good chance that your things will work out and you'll be able to stay.

That's why most people are so eager to grab the most secure visa they can get, and then to apply for citizenship as soon as they are able. (I think Australia, especially with their PR visas, gives people much more security than eg the UK.)

So I would just make peace with this particular risk, and plot the best course available.

Yip, we are planning to go down under but we want to do it with the minimum risk involved . We decided to go to the state that are sponsoring us even if I have a job lined up in another state. The stakes are to high taking risks.  

• Confused 1

@veinkamerer

If you do not plan to work at all or settle in the state that provided your sponsorship, you are taking a huge risk...................................