C# / .net Software Developer seeking sponsorhip

johanosventer

Hi,

I'm a South African Software Developer with 6.5 years of .Net (C#) programming experience, of which 3 have been in a leadership role across three different teams.  Having spent the last year in an Architect role, I'm now seeking sponsored employment in and around Melbourne.

Any advice? Networking tips?  Backdoors into the hidden job market?

Regards

Stefanus Johannes Venter CV 2018.pdf

Welcome to the forum @johanosventer,

I would like to recommend that you rather look into the 189 permanent residency visa route.  Sponsored visas are becoming harder and harder to find and if you think about it, why would a company sponsor a visa if there is already a perfectly good pool of local and permanent resident software developers available.  To get sponsored you would have to offer something that is in short supply locally.  I'm not saying its impossible to get sponsorship, but rather go for the sure thing and get permanent residency sorted.

Australia is very different from South Africa in terms of employment.  I personally used to send my CV to one recruiter and sit back whilst they got some interviews lined up.  Here..... you will have to work for it.  You need to contact companies directly, get your LinkedIn sorted and subscribe to LinkedIn Premium.  Because you are looking to be sponsored you would likely have to apply to companies who run specific programs to sponsor visas.  I was very lucky to find work within a week of starting the process, some of my colleagues took up to 6 months to find their first jobs in Australia due to their lack of local experience.

All the best, fire away if you have any more questions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Welcome to the forum @johanosventer,

I would like to recommend that you rather look into the 189 permanent residency visa route.  Sponsored visas are becoming harder and harder to find and if you think about it, why would a company sponsor a visa if there is already a perfectly good pool of local and permanent resident software developers available.  To get sponsored you would have to offer something that is in short supply locally.  I'm not saying its impossible to get sponsorship, but rather go for the sure thing and get permanent residency sorted.

Australia is very different from South Africa in terms of employment.  I personally used to send my CV to one recruiter and sit back whilst they got some interviews lined up.  Here..... you will have to work for it.  You need to contact companies directly, get your LinkedIn sorted and subscribe to LinkedIn Premium.  Because you are looking to be sponsored you would likely have to apply to companies who run specific programs to sponsor visas.  I was very lucky to find work within a week of starting the process, some of my colleagues took up to 6 months to find their first jobs in Australia due to their lack of local experience.

All the best, fire away if you have any more questions.

Thanks Chris.  Did you or your friends get sponsored, or did you all go across on PR?  You might not know about any companies that runs sponsorship programmes?

3 hours ago, Yuvi said:

Hi @johanosventer, would you consider Sydney or are you only looking to go to Melbourne?

Hi Yuvi,  Melbourne is my first choice but I would definitely consider Sydney if the opportunity for sponsorship is there. 

I have to ask @johanosventer , why are you so set on getting sponsored?  In my opinion, it is much easier to get a permanent residents visa and the benefits you get wholly outweighs the initial cost of the visa.  Sponsored visas are few and far between and also requires a big helping of luck.

Hi Johan,

Go onto SEEK and apply for jobs, the ad will mention if only PR may apply. It is entirely possible to get sponsored this way, pretty much everyone I know over here got sponsored on a 457. That being said its is short sighted to come across on a 457 (changing shortly to the new 2 year visa), especially since the visa changes means your visa will always be temporary. If you can apply for PR just do it and then look for a job with out any visa requirements.

11 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I have to ask @johanosventer , why are you so set on getting sponsored?  In my opinion, it is much easier to get a permanent residents visa and the benefits you get wholly outweighs the initial cost of the visa.  Sponsored visas are few and far between and also requires a big helping of luck.

Hi @ChrisH,

My primary reasons are time and cost,  I can always lodge for PR onshore. 

I am indeed finding it hard to even get a foot in without it and have started the process (skills are being assessed with ACS). 

From everything I've heard so far my conclusion is: It's better/faster to just go for PR and come over here  and look for work, than it is to play the 'sponsorship lotto'. The thing is, yes, people get sponsored, but way fewer than you think, and there is no way of telling how long it will take for your lucky day to be picked. Whereas with PR, it's expensive, but it takes more or less a fixed period of time to eventuate.

The only reason I would ever recommend a temporary visa is if the person had no other way of coming to Australia.

• Like 1

I've actually been watching one of the forumites for more than three years now, waiting in RSA with a PR visa, applying for jobs. This person will only move once they have work. It could take you more than that long.

• 5 months later...

I also recommend coming over with a PR visa where possible. It does take longer and is more expensive, but then one has the security of knowing that one cannot be sent back to South Africa if something goes wrong with the sponsoring job. You are then legally here forever if you want to be; the PR visa does expire after five years but if you never leave the country then you are here for good, and you can get citizenship or a returning resident visa after that point. I have read of people who were sponsored and arrived here, only to find at some point that the company said they no longer needed them, and they were left needing to urgently find another sponsor, which is already difficult to do, or they had to go back. At least if you have PR and you lose your job you don't risk getting deported.

We were fortunate to get PR and then get a job while we were in South Africa; it is difficult to do, though not impossible. Have a look at Dialog's career's page and maybe they could help you with a job. One of their account managers does travel to South Africa regularly to interview people. Dialog's career page for International Applicants is: https://careers.dialog.com.au/careers/current-vacancies/ Another option you could try is to approach a migration firm, e.g., Migrate2Oz. They sometimes have jobs advertised and they do obtain visas for people. They will give you an assessment of your options for a small initial fee and then at least you will have some ideas of what would work best for your personal situation.

Since we first arrived in Australia, I decided I wanted to move because I didn't like where we landed, so we looked for another job and moved to another State. Since then I have realised it was actually lovely where we first were in Australia (I think I experienced an initial culture shock), and now I want to go back there, and now it seems to be really hard to move to another State from within Australia (the many cold months in Tasmania are depressing even though it is beautiful here, and I want to grow old somewhere where it is warm). So if we are having trouble moving within Australia, and we have lots of local experience now, how much more difficult is it to find a job from outside of the country.

I do recommend at least getting PR first, but if you want sponsorship then it is possible, but more difficult and more risky.

Edited by Avatar
Added link to Dialog's career page