Payback to this forum - how to address employer requirements

OubaasDik

Hi all - been away for a while - had a major hiccup while working here for a very large American company.

Remember if they demand loyalty, tell them to buy a dog. They have none to you.

I have been searching in my field for the last 7 months, when I applied with a certain agency called Southern Cross Computing.

Now, I have no idea what other agencies do, but SCC actually went through my CV and my cover letter with me and said "No, no - this can never be!" My speciality is in IT as a dinosaur - still kicking ASCII all these years - but I need Big Iron to satisfy me (I am a mainframer), so I have to work for government or a bank or something like that and I LOVE Canberra - I agree I am breaking Mara's First Law, but I'm old and set in my ways.

They then sent me a document detailing what the Australian Public Service (APS) call STAR methodology, and they helped me with the frist few iterations of rewriting the cover letter and CV.

I am paying this forward to people who may have been just addressing criteria - get in and write a story. Mention the keywords often - cite examples.

I'm still out of work, but I'm more hopeful  :P 

It's attached FWIW - use in good health.

Addressing Selection Criteria - STAR Model.docx

Edited by OubaasDik
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My goodness gracious, sorry to hear about the unemployment, I do hope you find something soon. Of course, you could always adhere to my mantra and "go where the jobs are"! Hehe!

5 hours ago, Mara said:

My goodness gracious, sorry to hear about the unemployment, I do hope you find something soon. Of course, you could always adhere to my mantra and "go where the jobs are"! Hehe!

Yep, Mara's First Law - buy 90% of mainframe jobs are here anyway, so here I stay ....  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1